Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Mediaeval Recipes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Mediaeval Recipes

by Bill Spohn » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:40 pm

Doing some reading on 13th C, history and came across a couple of dishes that I just had to look up. They sound interesting so I thought I'd mention them here.

The first is Dilligrout. I know, it sounds like something you caulk your bathroom tiles with. It was apparently a soup or stew made from almond milk, capon, sugar, and spices that was traditionally served by the owners of a property in London to celebrate coronations of English monarchs.

According to Wikipedia, "Dillegrout was first presented in 1068 at the coronation of Matilda of Flanders, wife of William the Conqueror, and its final presentation was at the coronation of George IV in 1821."

See this entry for more information https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dillegrout

Take almonde mylk, and draw hit up thik with vernage, and let hit boyle, and braune [dark meat] of capons braied and put therto; and cast therto sugre, claves, maces, pynes, and ginger, mynced; and take chekyns parboyled and chopped, and pul of the skyn, and boyle al ensemble, and, in the settynge doune from the fire, put thereto a lytel vynegar alaied with pouder of ginger, and a lytel water of everose, and make the potage hanginge [clinging, i.e., thick],[9] and serve hit forth.

— Arundel Manuscripts
When fat is added as an ingredient, the dish is called maupygernon.[4]

I intend to try it the next time royalty visits!

The second dish is called Karum pie. Remember the song that includes 'four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie"? Well karum pie involves nightingales along with becca ficoes (blackcaps). It was known as late as the 19th C.as Walter Scott mentioned it in Ivanhoe.

Presumably one can find black cap mushrooms or a substitute and the nightingales could be replaced by, say, quails, Sadly, no recipe apparently exists but I would think that one could come up with one for quail and mushroom pie for the next Mediaeval fair you attend.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Mediaeval Recipes

by Jenise » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:54 pm

I intend to try it the next time royalty visits!

I'll be up on the 20th....
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:06 pm

Hmm - royalty, Italian wine theme....aha!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xZ37r20ftc
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:24 pm

Interesting. I have not found a recipe for karum pie (some write karim pie) but you can find at least one modern effort at dillegrout on YouTube, in the channel of the delightful and informative Max Miller: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk0FUS3Oq8s

// Alas, he has recently taken sponsors so you have to suffer a minute or so of him pitching them.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:43 pm

Excellent, Jeff.

Makes me want to make it even more. Now...wonder what wine would go with dillegrout? Last time I checked my cellar, it was lacking a butt of Malmsey.....
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:06 pm

A sweet and fragrant chicken soup, heavy on the chicken... more of the vernage, I suppose, is a no-fail option. The problem is that any dry wine is going to come off sour next to the sweetened food so I think you'd have to look at off-dry sparklers or rose. If overkill is your thing, maybe viognier or gewurztraminer?
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:19 pm

Gewurz might do well or maybe a Riesling Kabinett?
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:57 pm

Hefeweizen beer?

Another idea is to pair the soup with another strong food and then play to the combo. For example, bedight the table with a sturdy, but not too sweet, pumpernickel loaf. Now you've lessened the sugar load on anybody's plate so you can use a drier wine. Another idea: this is a recipe of Normandy so it's not unreasonable to add cream to it. That smooths out the pomander wallop of the dish so you can grab a wine that is salty/marine-influenced, maybe muscadet, chablis, or a carefully-chosen pinot.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:48 am

Bill, is this to your tastes?:
A bored professor of chemistry at West Point took time during the pandemic -- no classes to teach -- to study various medieval formulations for gunpowder to understand what the gunners were doing with their guns.
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/acsomega.1c03380
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:20 pm

Thanks Jeff