Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Incredible deals!!!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Incredible deals!!!

by Jenise » Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:05 pm

Went shopping at TJ Maxx yesterday. It was time to toss out my three year old non-stick 10" pan and invest in a new one to trash. The great thing about TJ Maxx is that prices are low enough that there's usually something so inexpensive it's essentially disposable.

And boy did I score. Got an All-Clad for $16. Also fell prey to temptation and bought a two-level SS steamer. It's been a long time since I threw out the cheapie all-aluminum one I bought in a Chinese shop and I always meant to replace it. This one, which is 12-14" in diameter, was just $34.

I also picked up some large, 8" across I think, maybe 9", silicone mats. Thick enough to be potholders but thin enough to be super flexible. I'm going to keep these near the microwave (which is in an appliance bar in my pantry) so that we always have the ability to handle hot stuff PLUS these are also meant to be used during cooking as splatter guards, which are always needed when reheating soup or liquids which I so often do.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Incredible deals!!!

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:03 am

All-Clad for $16 sounds amazing.
no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

by John F » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:27 am

I probably sound like George Bush Sr., but I’m not sure I have actually set foot in a TJ Maxx store before. I always thought it was clothes and had no idea there was cookware. I need to go check it out!
no avatar
User

DanS

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:10 pm

by DanS » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:18 am

John F wrote:I probably sound like George Bush Sr., but I’m not sure I have actually set foot in a TJ Maxx store before. I always thought it was clothes and had no idea there was cookware. I need to go check it out!

I went by my local Home Goods store after reading this. They have a lot of bargains in cookware. All Clad, Cuisinart were mostly $30 and under. They also had quite a lot of Lodge cast iron in many sizes.

TJ Max and Home Goods (along with Marshalls and several other stores) are all all owned by the same company. Here in New England most of the TJ Maxx and Home Goods store share the same space. You can walk into one and walk out the other. TJ Max is mostly clothing while Home Goods is (as you might expect) home goods.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:32 pm

TJ Maxx and Marshalls were initially competing chains but merged some 15 or so years ago. And 30% of our TJ's store has always been devoted to home goods with a whole aisle of pots and pans. Good names, too, like All-Clad and Le Creuset. The Home Goods stores is a newish thing or at least on the west coast it is, and we got one about three years ago but I wasn't impressed--it seemed to be mostly bedding and the like, soft goods. TJ's is better for kitchen stuff.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

DanS

Rank

Ultra geek

by DanS » Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:33 pm

Here is a history of the TJX brands.

https://www.tjx.com/company/history

I used to go to Marshalls for kitchenware bargains. I got some solid deals on Le Creuset (in the $20 range) among other things. I don't remember TJ Maxx ever carrying anything other than clothing but I could be mistaken. Home Goods has pretty much everything you need for a home these days. From bedding to decor, dining, to dishing.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:42 pm

Ditto me and Marshalls when I lived in So Cal long before I ever heard of TJMaxx.

And there's one in our town now too. But these days it's more clothing, not much housewares. For pots and pans, TJMaxx is superior to the rest, not just a few but literally a whole department of them.

Interesting to read the history, also realize what else is in the chain like Sierra Trading Company, one of which just opened here but I haven't been in. Didn't realize there was an e-commerce site for Marshalls, either. Will have to take a look!
no avatar
User

DanS

Rank

Ultra geek

by DanS » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:09 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:All-Clad for $16 sounds amazing.

In a weak moment, I went back today and picked up a Cuisinart 3 cup saucepan and a 8 cup saute pan. $34 for both.
While I love my Mauviel copper pans, having dishwasher safe pans makes cleanup a lot easier.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:19 am

Good for you, Dan, hard to beat prices like that for pans that will last the rest of your life.