Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Jacques Pepin's Mother's Souffle

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: Jacques Pepin's Mother's Souffle

by Jenise » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:21 pm

You may know about this recipe since many have apparently discovered it, even Amanda Hesser's Food52 where they name it a 'Genius' recipe. Indeed it is--all those time-dependent and complicated separate steps are pretty much gone. And all because Jacques' 17 year old mother, a newlywed at the time, didn't understand that you weren't supposed to do it this way. And now that I've had it, I don't think I ever want to do it any other.

This was served to us for lunch by a friend in British Columbia last week. Absolutely delicious! Serving 8, she made two large souffles in advance and put them into bake when she heard our tires on the gravel drive outside.

https://food52.com/recipes/82304-cheese-souffle-recipe
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: RCP: Jacques Pepin's Mother's Souffle

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:06 pm

Indeed a great recipe. I have a version of it that is half that size and adds spinach.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:25 am

Interesting. Souffle is not actually that complicated, but beating the egg whites does add some time/dishes/complications, so I'd be curious to see whether the added ease more than compensates for any slight reduction in airiness.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:12 am

Rahsaan, for me Kathy's souffles didn't lack airiness. The difference is very slight and if you didn't know it was expected to be less airy I don't think it would have crossed your mind. It didn't in my case. What Kathy described, and what I was interested in, was the ability to skip beating the eggwhites and mix everything in advance for baking off later. I sometimes serve souffles as a first-course and probably would more often if careful timing weren't an issue. What she made didn't seem lesser in any other way, just perhaps a tad wetter than mine usually are, and that I could have written off to a difference in the cheese.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:46 pm

Jenise wrote:...just perhaps a tad wetter than mine usually are...

That would have been my guess about how the unbeaten egg whites would act.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:32 pm

Yes, but only a tad and these were large soufflees where I always make smaller, individual soufflees. At the time I presumed that and a possible variation in timing would explain any minor differences.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:28 pm

I second the review - the souffles were superb.

Now - what do you think would be the best wine match?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:02 pm

Left to my own devices I'd have gone straight to a white Burgundy but honestly, almost any white wine would show well. As would an aged pinot noir.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:32 pm

Hungarian Bull's Blood, with a chaser of ouzo. :twisted: