Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

FLDG Challenge: Prepare a dish from the year you were born

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

FLDG Challenge: Prepare a dish from the year you were born

by Jenise » Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:58 pm

We were talking about our mother's cookbooks in another thread. I knew of only two my mother owned, but remembered this morning that I have possession of Bob's mother's and grandmother's copies of the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook (publication dates 1941 and 1944) and used them to death. I would have presumed the older copy to be Granny Ruth's were it not for the inscription, "Given me on my birthday by Charles, Feb 17 1944." Charles, her husband and Bob's grandfather, died of pancreatic cancer the following year, in his 40's. He was an electricity lineman with a major photography hobby in Montana, and it was to donate his huge collection of photographs to the Carbon County Museum in Red Bluff that we made a trip to that town earlier this year. He sent all his film by pony express to Kodak in Rochester New York for developing.

These books were their cooking Bibles. Each is bulging with recipes Jean and Granny Ruth, who I only met once and it was beyond her cooking years, found along the way in life, handwritten on any scrap available and stuffed in back. In Jean's case, the added recipes are almost 100% sweets. This squares with what I knew of her--she was a terrible cook, where her mother Granny Ruth's cooking, both sweet and savory, was revered by the whole family.

Granny Ruth's copy is more interesting because it was a war time edition, so there are additional chapters for "variety meats" and tips on making your rations stretch further. Sugar and meat were the prime concerns.

Lots of the ingredients are fun to read about. Spry, a vegetable shortening introduced by Lever Brothers in 1936 as a competitor to Crisco and abandoned in 1970, was often called for by name. Worcestershire sauce is frequently called for, and so is Tabasco. Canned soup, primarily tomato, was the cornerstone of many recipes. I didn't see any green herbs beyond parsley.

An example of how fun these were to read is two recipes in the one-dish meal chapter, one for Italian Spaghetti and another for Irish Italian Spaghetti. Both are ground beef based, but Worcestershire sauce is called for in the Italian version, which also uses tomato soup and is finished with Parmesan cheese. Whereas the Irish Italian version uses one can each tomato and--get this!-- cream of mushroom soup, and is finished with grated American cheese (presumably Velveeta). Those are the only two cheeses called for by name anywhere in the book. Otherwise, it's just 'cheese'.

Karen: a recipe for tamale pie is in these books. Calls for one cup each black olives and raisins!!!

In F&F I mentioned some of the fun spelling differences between 1940's America and today. Cookies, plural is as we know it today, but singular it's 'cooky'. Like 'cooky sheet'.

I looked through the meat and casserole/one-dish meal sections for inspirations. For tonight I selected a vegetable and noodle bake because 1) it calls for green beans (canned, I have frozen) and carrots, which I have both of, and because it's a dish I never in a million years would make or have ever made anything like but, you know what, as written and without embellishment, I will probably like it. And Sunday, I am going to try my hand at the most dreaded meal of my childhood: swiss steak. My mother made it frequently and I would eat it with a fork in one hand and a glass of water in the other.

So I challenge you, my friends, to go retro with me. Make a trip into the past and create a dish that speaks to the era, if not the year, you were born. And report back.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: FLDG Challenge: Prepare a dish from the year you were b

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:52 pm

Is it still possible to get Lipton's Onion Soup Mix?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:05 pm

I'm sure it is! There are too many briskets and onion dips in this world that have yet to be made. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:18 pm

I'm thinking mac 'n' cheese from the Joy of Cooking, but with Velveeta. :lol:
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:55 pm

Fondue was big. Also, Swedish meatballs with grape jelly. Steak Diane. Swiss Steaks (though darn if I can distinguish them from Salisbury Steaks or just hamburger in gravy). Molded jello things. Pu-pu platters. Chow mein. Spaghetti puttanesca (...because "Illya Darling" was a big hit). TV dinners. Iceberg lettuce wedge with blue cheese dressing. Shrimp cocktail. Chocolate mousse. Sanka.
Last edited by Jeff Grossman on Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:39 am

Okay,I’m up for a challenge. First stop was pulling out mum's cookbook/recipe collection.
This might take a day or two. There are about three books and a scrapbook and a pile of loose bits.
This will be the first time since her passing and actually I’m ready now. (She died a month before Peter so a lot of things got put aside)l
I think it will be a good journey.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:53 am

Barb, indeed it's a journey. Inside of Granny Ruth's book I found a letter from Jean, written from McChord Air Force Base in Tacoma which is only about 140 miles south of where I live now, before Bob was born. It's the typical news a young mother adapting to a new climate would write to her mum, and it includes a recipe for a cream cheese frosting--commonplace now, but in 1946 it was apparently a revolutionary new idea. Fred and Jean met and lived in Texas and both died before Bob and I even thought about moving away from Los Angeles, let alone to the Pacific Northwest, so I never realized that they'd lived here!

Another cool thing is that Granny Ruth was meticulous about noting who gave her each recipe and many are names I now know from my recent work in creating Bob's family tree and sorting through Charles' photographs. Five years ago, I wouldn't have recognized any of them.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:42 pm

When my mother went into managed care I inherited my mother's box full of recipe cards. This includes a lot of my childhood favorites including Swedish meatballs and porcupine meatballs. The Swedish meatball recipe came from my Swedish great grandmother. Porcupine meatballs first became popular in the Great Depression, but they were still very popular when I was born in 1955. Would these qualify for the challenge?

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:52 pm

Jeff, Swiss Steak is pounded round or rump--a tough cut--and Salisbury Steak is ground meat patties.

Does anyone else know the origins of Salisbury steak? I'll bet Dale does because Dr. Salisbury died and is buried in Dobbs Ferry where Dale lives. Here's an informative piece about him: "Best known in our time as a staple of TV dinners and bargain buffets, the Salisbury Steak actually has its beginnings as a proposed cure for digestive illness during the Civil War. Far from the nuisance it is in the US today, digestive illnesses killed more soldiers during the Civil War than combat did, and a diet rich in beefsteak and coffee was one suggested cure. The inventor of the Salisbury Steak, Dr. James Henry Salisbury, born near Cortland, New York, was an early pioneer of germ theory, and of diet being a factor in health. While some of his ideas may be outmoded today, such as his belief that vegetables released powerful toxins in the digestive system, his affection for beefsteak and his promotion of its positive effect on health, has persisted. While patties of ground or tenderized beef are common fare, the Salisbury Steak was cemented in the American lexicon during World War I. In many English-speaking countries, there was a movement to limit the use of German-sounding words, so the Army served Salisbury Steak rather than Hamburg Steak, and Liberty Sandwiches instead of Hamburgers."

Typical recipes for Salisbury Steak include a gravy made from Kitchen Bouquet. The recipe for Swiss Steak in Granny Ruth's book includes, beyond S&P, just canned tomatoes and onions.

I called my brother to ask if he remembers Mom's Swiss Steak having tomatoes and onions and he doesn't recall. I am sure it didn't, it was a brown gravy and I detested brown gravies as a child, another reason beyond the texture of the meat to hate it. Her version was kind of a hybrid--Swiss Steak meat with a Salisbury type gravy. Mom LOVED Kitchen Bouquet.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:02 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:When my mother went into managed care I inherited my mother's box full of recipe cards. This includes a lot of my childhood favorites including Swedish meatballs and porcupine meatballs. The Swedish meatball recipe came from my Swedish great grandmother. Porcupine meatballs first became popular in the Great Depression, but they were still very popular when I was born in 1955. Would these qualify for the challenge?

Of course!

So last night we had YYWB meal #1: thin pork chops liberally seasoned with salt and onion powder served next to the Vegetable Noodle Bake (essentially a gratin) from the Metropolitan Life booklet I mentioned earlier. To stay true to the intent, I made it exactly as called for (including the Worcestershire Sauce!) with one deviation: it called for 2 cups carrots, about the same amount of canned green beans (referred to as a No. 2 can), and "1/3 of an 8 oz pkg of noodles, cooked" all of which which was going to get drowned in 4 cups of white sauce and 1 cup of cheese. Way too wet: I only made a half recipe, therefore two cups of sauce, but I also put in a lot more noodles, enough to make it a 50/50 blend of noodle and vegetable. I liked it okay but thought it rather plain; Bob loved it.

Oh, and here's one more piece of yesteryear authentication: I pounded the pork chops lightly with a meat mallet my grandfather made, probably before I was born.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:09 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I'm thinking mac 'n' cheese from the Joy of Cooking, but with Velveeta. :lol:

Careful, you might like it!
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:37 pm

Jenise wrote:Jeff, Swiss Steak is pounded round or rump--a tough cut--and Salisbury Steak is ground meat patties.

Thanks! And thanks for the history of Dr. Salisbury. (...who goes into the same file with graham crackers and other "health" foods that have superseded their heritages.)

Typical recipes for Salisbury Steak include a gravy made from Kitchen Bouquet. The recipe for Swiss Steak in Granny Ruth's book includes, beyond S&P, just canned tomatoes and onions.

That aligns with my memory of it: Swiss Steak is served with a rich, long-cooked tomato and onion sauce, while Salisbury Steak come in brown gravy.
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:02 pm

I'm having spaghetti tonight. It's my Saturday standard, and I use a direct derivative of my paternal grandmother's spaghetti sauce, which Dad used to eat as a youth. I've made a couple of changes; I use braised shortribs instead of hamburger and fresh mushrooms instead of dried. But the S&W brand chopped tomatoes are still there, and garlic is garlic, and onion is onion, right out of Gramme's recipe, and the Italian seasoning mix is as similar as I can get. I haven't seen the brand she used in about 30 years. And I was born in 1940.
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:16 am

Not sure this is the year I was born, but my mom made it often and I loved it. I had forgotten about it until I was cooking for three kids and came across it again in an American Heart Cookbook I purchased at that time. The recipe came from someone in the midwest and of course, since using oatmeal was good for us. I made it a lot after that but lost it again when I gave away a huge amount of cookbooks I no longer used and wanted to make room for the newer ways. I came across it again two weeks ago and made it for the two of us. It was great and made nice sandwiches for a couple of lunches.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/tra ... meat-loaf/
I remember Creamed Tuna on Toast being on our menu often, plus egg salad sandwiches. We lived for several years with my grandparents who came from Portugal. Grandpa had rabbits and chickens, and a huge vegetable garden, plus all sorts of berry plants and red currants. We ate what he grew, raised, and fished for. The only recipe I recall was some sort of bean recipe which he insisted on having every night and I was so tired of eating. They were pink.... Grandma made lots of soups, which I loved and she always added a bit of grandpa's homemade wine, which he had in his shed. Everyone hated his wine, but he thought it to be wonderful. It did taste mighty fine in soupl
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:22 pm

Karen, I don't see oatmeal in the meatloaf recipe. Are you sure that's the one you intended? FWIW, Bon Appetit magazine printed a recipe long ago for a meat loaf made of lamb, oats, red wine, garlic and a mixture of herbs, loosely Herbs d'Provence but not called for by name vs. the individual items like thyme etc. It was heavenly. Long lost, but I've duplicated it somewhat. I love the layering the oats add to the mixture.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:46 pm

John Treder wrote:I'm having spaghetti tonight. It's my Saturday standard, and I use a direct derivative of my paternal grandmother's spaghetti sauce, which Dad used to eat as a youth. I've made a couple of changes; I use braised shortribs instead of hamburger and fresh mushrooms instead of dried. But the S&W brand chopped tomatoes are still there, and garlic is garlic, and onion is onion, right out of Gramme's recipe, and the Italian seasoning mix is as similar as I can get. I haven't seen the brand she used in about 30 years. And I was born in 1940.

That would be much more complex than the "Italian Spaghetti" in the BH&G book. I'm not even sure it called for garlic. :)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:32 pm

Last night's Salisbury Steak was a hit, really delicious. If there had been a recipe for it in Granny Ruth's book, I'd have used it but there wasn't. So I read thru a few recipes online and went my own way: half beef, half pork, garlic, no onion, and dijon mustard in the panade. This dish is very very smart for a dinner party--I did the initial browning on the patties just before guests arrived, removed them to a plate, then added the gravy emulsion to the pan and when that thickened up a little added the patties back, scooping the gravy over several times to make a shiny coating, and then leaving to heat up slowly while we ate the first course (crab cakes on frisee).

Really McGyver'ed the gravy and I'm proud of it. I emptied the seasoning packet from a beef ramen (I sometimes steal the noodles for other purposes) into about a cup and a half of water and simmered that with two grilled steak bones from a week ago for about an hour. Made a great broth and just the right amount.

My other McGyver moment: I made the mashed potatoes in advance but forgot to turn off the (low) fire. Over the course of an hour, they browned. I realized that while finishing the meat patties. SHIT! Volume-wise, I kind of needed all of it, so I added a tiny bit of water to steam the crusted potatoes away from the walls and bottom of the pan, and added two crushed garlic cloves that had not at all been part of my original plan. The spotty, dark colors now made sense, even if not caused by what my dinner guests presumed it was. :)

By the way this is the first Salisbury steak I've had but for the cafeteria at Walter F. Dexter Junior High in Whittier, California, where I grew up and a TV dinner or two in my high school years. (Does Moco Loco in Hawaii count?)
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

Re: FLDG Challenge: Prepare a dish from the year you were bo

by wnissen » Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:14 pm

Jenise, I was going to say that I never had Salisbury steak made in someone's home, but it was a staple at the school cafeteria and in TV dinners. I loved it, still do.

I made it a point when starting out on my own to get the same edition of Joy of Cooking as my mom had, the 1975. So in a sense everything I make from there is a birth year recipe. The main adjustment I have to make is for salt, which of course is iodized table salt. With all deference to Julia Child, it's my go-to source for sauces, since they tend to be much simpler. There's a "quick white sauce" that is heaveanly with hard-boiled eggs. I never tried the squirrel recipes, though! I bet they have a good Salisbury steak recipe, though.

http://cookbookjj.com/college/joy.htm
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:20 pm

Walt, that's cool. I bought a JOC at a swapmeet maybe 20 years ago; it's a durable resource for exactly stuff like this and I don't know why it didn't occur to me to look up Salisbury Steak in it, I definitely should have. And you should make it yourself! Fun to go backwards in time.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:50 pm

Not sure that this is YYWB but tonight's dinner was a classic: trout almondine. Sometimes I forget how good these simple preps are.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:44 am

Walt, I checked the Joy of Cooking last night after discussing it with you. Two things: my copy is the 1975 copy also which, as I told you, I bought at a swapmeet shortly before moving to Washington in 2003. Paid $2 for it. At that time, and I can't remember why (Mrs. Rombauer died, or they released a new edition) there was renewed interest and reverence for it, but like you I wanted the old edition that told the story of how things used to be. Anyway, Salisbury Steak is merely referenced in a passing comment so there goes my hope of finding what might be considered the or a 'definitive' version.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:40 pm

Today I tracked down another oddity from my childhood. My mother made something she called subgum. I completely forgot about it and couldn't have told you what was in it until reading a recipe in Bob's grandmother's book--in fact, I presumed my mother made up the name. It's essentially a chow mein, and the first known use of the word can be tracked to 1902 where "subgum chow mein" was on a list of Chinese dishes in a Chicago Tribune article. Webster's defines it as a meat and vegetable stir fry but most sources indicate that bean sprouts is a must ingredient and typically onions and celery are there too. Way back when, though, canned bean sprouts and recipes called for them without hesitation as fresh would have been very limited and very regional. In the BH&G book, it's described as a recipe for leftover roast pork. My own mother might have used leftover roast-something in hers and probably did--but since I detested recooked roasted meats I would have avoided it.
no avatar
User

Ted Richards

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Toronto, Canada

Re: FLDG Challenge: Prepare a dish from the year you were bo

by Ted Richards » Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:19 am

wnissen wrote:I never tried the squirrel recipes, though!

My copy of the JOC, copyright 1964, printed 1967, has a recipe for woodchuck, that says to use any recipe for rabbit or chicken, so I always envision Colonel Sanders Kentucky fried woodchuck.

Alas, it seems to be missing from the more recent editions.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:01 am

My copy of JOC is the 1975 edition, although the front matter says it is from the "Thirty-Ninth Printing September 1985."

That would be during my sojourn in grad school, when my cooking got serious, so I must have bought it.

It still has recipes for squirrel and woodchuck.
Next