Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Chinese meat wool

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Chinese meat wool

by Paul Winalski » Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:17 am

Known in China as rousong (yuk sung in Cantonese), or pork sung. This is pork (usually shoulder) cooked with a bit of soy sauce and lard, then teased into very thin shreds and dried. The tiny shreds have a lovely combination melt-in-your-mouth/chewy texture and subtle flavor. In China it's popular served at breakfast with congee. I like it on its own as a snack. Kenneth Lo's Encyclopedia of Chinese Cooking has a recipe for the Fujian regional variant under the name "Fukien Meat Wool". I also found it in Huang Su Huei's cookbook Chinese Snacks. I've never made it myself--it strikes me as the sort of thing like ketchup that's usually bought and not made at home from scratch. Pork fu is nearly the same thing but the shreds are finer and crispier. I find little if any difference between the two and enjoy them interchangeably. Kimbo brand is the one I can find in Asian groceries around here.

Does anyone else have experience with this stuff?

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

Re: Chinese meat wool

by Barb Downunder » Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:40 am

Paul s this the same as pork floss? No experience of it , or them, but should try it next time any passes by.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:56 am

Yes, pork floss is another English name for it.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:41 pm

So I thought I knew a lot about Chinese food but you have me on this one, Paul. Zero experience, though I now realize what it is I've seen garnishing congee (in pix on menus, I haven't ordered it).

Speaking of Chinese meat, last time I was at H Mart I saw (and bought) thinly sliced fresh pork cheek. I was attracted by the novelty of the cut in western experience. Do you know what the typical preparation for it would be? Something different, I'm guessing, than mere stir fry?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:30 pm

I've never encountered pork cheek, although I bet it's been on the Chinese-only menu in some restaurants I've been to. It's bound to have a lot of connective tissue, so I'd red-cook it or stew it in an aromatic braize (lu technique) if it's in large chunks. Very thinly sliced I'd give it a brief, hot stir-fry.

Marcella Hazan says in one of her cookbooks that pork cheek is used in Bolognese mortadella and bologna.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:59 pm

Yes, it's thinly sliced for stir-fry. The Korean markets have all kinds of fun, crazy cuts. I just wondered if you knew of any dishes that traditionally called for this cut.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:39 pm

Googling "Chinese pork cheek" turned up some recipes.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Ted Richards

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Toronto, Canada

by Ted Richards » Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:25 pm

Jenise wrote:Yes, it's thinly sliced for stir-fry. The Korean markets have all kinds of fun, crazy cuts. I just wondered if you knew of any dishes that traditionally called for this cut.

I just posted a recipe for Cider-Braised Pork Cheeks, which uses whole cheeks (about 4 oz each), rather than sliced, but it's very tasty. You could probably adapt it for thin slices - just don't cook it so long.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:50 pm

The Saigon Market in Manchester NH has both Pork Sung and Pork Fu, from the same manufacturer, so I bought one of each to do a side-by-side comparison. The differences:

o Pork Fu has a lighter color than Pork Sung.

o Pork Fu is a bit fluffier and less dense than Pork Sung.

o Pork Sung has a more assertive, less sweet flavor than Pork Fu.

The differences are subtle and the two are interchangeable.

-Paul W.