Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Culinary Milestones

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Culinary Milestones

by Jenise » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:17 am

Lots of ouchies up Bill's way too. Vancouver's cut off from the rest of their province like Bellingham is cut off from my state, and on a smaller basis, like my little neighborhood is from everyone around us. We can't get out--I can't even go a mile. We who keep full pantries and freezers are the lucky ones.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:20 am

Looking much better for the rest of the week up here, and any road closures should be reopened. Fortunately I got my shopping done before the torrential rain hit (needed 3 kg of oxtails, for instance - would have been challenging otherwise).

We are right on a river so we get a sort of ringside seat and can tell when the level changes. Figure we won't start building an ark just yet (it would sink anyway with all those wine bottles in it).
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:30 am

Our neighborhood lakes have overflowed and golf course homes are now lakeside. There's just nowhere for that much water to go. And then there are the houses with roofs like my friend Holly's that suddenly sprang leaks. We were over there last night tearing out dry wall and insulation in her saturated kitchen ceiling. And her garage, which is lower than the elevation of the house, is flooded. 300 cases of wine....
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:42 am

Jenise wrote:Our neighborhood lakes have overflowed and golf course homes are now lakeside. There's just nowhere for that much water to go. And then there are the houses with roofs like my friend Holly's that suddenly sprang leaks. We were over there last night tearing out dry wall and insulation in her saturated kitchen ceiling. And her garage, which is lower than the elevation of the house, is flooded. 300 cases of wine....

We re lucky - the one flue had already been tarped off as we are servicing it, otherwise we'd likely have had water coming into the living room.

On the submerged wine, it should be OK but I did her of someone that once bought a lot of canned goods that had been under water, for a pittance, but he hadn't factored in that all the labels would have separated from the cans. Apparently trying to sell cans with no identification is rather difficult...
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:00 pm

Holly's wine is all from the winery she and her husband used to own, still in box. So that part's good. At least those not on the first shelf. :) I'm working at borrowing a sump pump to take over there to help drain the garage. I can't believe anyone built a garage like that. Two levels, one lower than the other where the wine is, both well below the elevation of the house and surrounding grounds, so they fill up like cups. The deeper side supposedly has a drain, but it ain't workin'!!!!
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:18 pm

Since we saw you last, Alvin went on a short trip and came back to find his basement room flooded out - the sump pump failed. He has to replace three wine units (which are no longer made) plus some expensive audio gear! Makes you want to never leave home!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:12 pm

Wow, sounds like a lot of water has come down up there. Stay safe and keep those pantries full. Thankfully, we were on the shoulder of the atmospheric river that came our way. Lots of rain but we are on a plateau and everything runs down. We keep an eye on our storm drain and let the city know if it is clogged with something we cannot handle. So far so good. Lots of heavy fog the past few days, today is sunshine but down into the forties.

Jenise, I like my parm cheese like sand, as well, so after I cut off the rind(which I freeze for use in a soup) I cut the cheese into small chunks, then whiz away in the food processor. It makes short work of it. I make sure it is at room temp before doing this. I also make enough for several months and keep it in a glass jar with a rubber seal flip-top lid. Forgot what those are called. I was not able to find the Parmigiano Reggiano for months during the heavy part of the pandemic. We sure did miss it and while other similar types of cheese are ok in a pinch, they are not the same.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:15 pm

Poor Alvin!!! I can't even imagine the mess. For all the various misfortunes I've had as a homeowner, never had anything like Alvin's or Holly's problems. Or even you, with your fireplaces leaking. Didn't you get it/them fixed last year?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:18 pm

Karen, same here today. And another atmospheric river is pointed right at us for Thursday. Yesterday's has been declared a Cat 5.
I didn't know they were grading them!
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:42 pm

Jenise wrote: Or even you, with your fireplaces leaking. Didn't you get it/them fixed last year?

Well we thought so - had some flashing installed that helped but I'm after a final solution.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:02 pm

Just found out that Birch Bay Lynden road, the one between me and the freeway, is washed out. Not that I could even get that far
because of the flooding in my neighborhood and along the Bay. And if I could get that far I couldn't get to Bellingham because the Nooksack River between us and Ferndale overflowed and the freeway's flooded there. And if I could get thru that and was trying to get to Seattle, I could get there because the southbound I-5 reopened but I couldn't get home because the northbound I-5 remains closed due to massive mudslides.

Yet with all that shitshow going on our trash actually got picked up yesterday, and the Lummi tribe crabbers were still manning their traps.

I see Abbotsford's underwater. Hwy 1 is, like, gone.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:06 pm

Wow, sounds like quite a mess.

Wet wine is OK as long as the water remains cool. I recall some wine merchants in Louisiana, after some hurricane or other, trying to figure out what to do with wine from cellars that were flooded with 90*F water....

Has it always been wet up there? I mean, who builds a basement room in that climate?
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:08 pm

Basements normally aren't a problem here unless you live in a low spot. We are fairly mountainous and most of us live on a hill side.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:25 pm

Update - Highway 1 (Trans Canada) is blocked 50 miles east of here.

The area of Sumas Prairie is suffering sever flooding and people have been ordered to leave. The Fraser River runs fairly close and the pumping station behind the dikes is failing. The old name of the area will give you an idea of the problem - it used to be called Sumas Lake.

Note to local government - when you allow large areas of residential development in areas like that, it might just be an idea to have more than one pumping station available......

The river that (almost) runs through our back yard has dropped to normal low levels and no further rain is expected until next week (when Jenise is coming up - cross your fingers and we'll get the guest room ready in case!)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:04 pm

Btw, I started a new thread about this in F&F. I'll repost your comments here to that.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:02 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:I also make enough for several months and keep it in a glass jar with a rubber seal flip-top lid.

Mason jars. I've used them for decades to store all sorts of things, from usual suspects such as Moroccan pickled lemon to big jars for grains, flour, beans, and sugar. I had a major weevil infestation in my kitchen at one time. I called them "shelf life" and they got into everything. They even gnawed their way into packets of Instant Breakfast, ate all the sugar and powdered milk, and left the cocoa. They crawled into the salt shaker and died (I found this out when shaking salt over a dish, of course). Putting everything into mason jars finally did the trick.

BTW, the rubber gasket that seals a mason jar gets stiff after a couple of decades and won't provide an airtight and waterproof seal anymore. It'll still keep the shelf life at bay but it's no good for storing pickles or for canning. Fortunately replacement gaskets are readily available.

-Palu W.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:54 pm

I've got two big ones full of egg nog as we speak.
Previous