Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

So who watches Milk Street?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

So who watches Milk Street?

by Jenise » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:52 pm

This is where Christopher Kimball went when he ditched America's Test Kitchen.

I like the show. Cookingwise, in format it's not a huge departure from ATK--they got rid of the product tests and appliance segments--but the nature of the food they do is radical by comparison. Bolder flavors, more esoteric ingredients, international vs. midwest.

In some episodes, Chris travels somewhere and after showing a short film they do a version of that dish in the CS kitchen (in Boston). One of that type of episode we saw yesterday was to my eye a miserable failure of the type I used to knock ATK for. In Oaxaca, a street vendor with Frida Kalho eyebrows made Chris a cheese-stuffed 'enchilada', a tortilla folded in half and then half again to form a fat triangle lowered into a very pale silky and creamy-ish green sauce made mostly of pureed tomatillos. It was then scooped out of the sauce along with plenty of sauce and plated with a topping of raw onions and more cotija cheese. Chris takes a few bites and does the obligatory swooning.

Cut to Boston. Now one of the rotating cast of in-house chefs then demonstrated green enchiladas. She briefly sauteed pasilla chiles, tomatillos, onions and cilantro then ground same in a food processor. No liquid was added, the texture was large sand, and it was thick like stiff mashed potatoes. She scooped about half of this down the center of a baking dish and topped it with rolled corn tortillas brushed with oil and filled with shredded chicken and cheese. She scooped the remaining 'salsa' on top, again down the center of the enchiladas which left 2/3 of each one bare. After a brief re-heat, she served them just like that. It probably tasted fine, but what the heck was the point of the footage from Oaxaca if you're going to throw all that authenticity out the window and make something no Mexican would recognize?

Jeesh.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: So who watches Milk Street?

by Paul Winalski » Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:12 pm

I sometimes listen to their weekly NPR radio show if I bump into it, but I'm not a regular listener. I don't do television anymore, either broadcast, cable, or streaming. I own a high-res TV but it's just for DVDs.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:53 pm

I wonder whether they thought their audience wouldn't want the messy enchilada serving style, despite its swoonworthiness? Is everyone so accustomed to Taco Bell that the real thing won't pass muster?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:13 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:I wonder whether they thought their audience wouldn't want the messy enchilada serving style, despite its swoonworthiness? Is everyone so accustomed to Taco Bell that the real thing won't pass muster?

Based on one episode you could wonder. But it felt like a holdover from the ATK days--watching them make what they thought was Mexican food was a horror flick. And this enchilada could have been written off as a New Englandized or Midwesternized into the 'safe' zone for people afraid of foreign food. IF they hadn't shown the film from Oaxaca, that is, and if their shows weren't all about foreign/ethnic food. They throw the chiles around pretty freely.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov