Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Seeking Minneapolis, MN restaurant recommendations.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

Seeking Minneapolis, MN restaurant recommendations.

by Jon Peterson » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:13 am

I am going to a birthday party on Buffalo, MN on Saturday March 3rd. I'd be interested in hearing about some high-end restaurants in Minneapolis for Sat night dinner. A good wine list is a must.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Re: Seeking Minneapolis, MN restaurant recommendations.

by Redwinger » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:53 pm

Jon,
Holy Shite...someone actually going to Buffalo, MN rather than trying to leave. My clan is firmly rooted in the Maple Lake/Buffalo area and with the lack of genetic diversity in Wright County, there is a better than even chance I'm related to some, if not many, of the guests at the B-day party. :oops:
Sorry I can't help you with Mpls restaurants, as my local knowledge is somewhat obsolete.
Dress warmly.
BP
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:29 pm

Nice to read your post, Bill, even though there was no eatery recommendation. Almost all my family is from MN or ND Thief River Falls, Crookston, Minot and many more; heck, with a name like Jon Peterson it's no wonder, ya-sure-you-betcha. I love the state and the people and wish it was a little closer to a warm ocean. I'll have to ask around about you at the party - maybe I'll get some juicy news (read - dirt) to share on these pages.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:24 am

Jon, I live in Minneapolis and don't know where Buffalo is. The cab ride might be a long one. For Italian, D'Amico Cucina is a fine choice. French, La Belle Vie or Vincent's (Fugaise for low-key). Ameri:112 Eatery. Spain:Solera Steak: Manny's, Seafood: Oceanaire. Sushi: Sakura in St. Paul.

Have a time!
Bill
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:54 pm

Thanks, Bill. I'll print your post and take it with me. I hope I have time to eat - I'll be there about 30 hours.
no avatar
User

Steven Noess

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:45 pm

Minneapolis, MN USA

by Steven Noess » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:27 am

Bill Hooper wrote:Jon, I live in Minneapolis and don't know where Buffalo is. The cab ride might be a long one. For Italian, D'Amico Cucina is a fine choice. French, La Belle Vie or Vincent's (Fugaise for low-key). Ameri:112 Eatery. Spain:Solera Steak: Manny's, Seafood: Oceanaire. Sushi: Sakura in St. Paul.

Have a time!
Bill

Bill, some outstanding choices, at least the one's that I've been to (I've only been here 2 years and am a starving law student, though, so not very often that I frequent the higher end restaurants :cry: ). Personally, I prefer Murray's to Manny's, but think they are both great.

It's not a fine wine restaurant, but have you tried Broder's pasta bar on 50th and Penn? It's more in my price range, but don't let that fool you. It offers absolutely outstanding food for the price. Simple wine list, though.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:22 pm

Steven Noess wrote:
Bill Hooper wrote:Jon, I live in Minneapolis and don't know where Buffalo is. The cab ride might be a long one. For Italian, D'Amico Cucina is a fine choice. French, La Belle Vie or Vincent's (Fugaise for low-key). Ameri:112 Eatery. Spain:Solera Steak: Manny's, Seafood: Oceanaire. Sushi: Sakura in St. Paul.

Have a time!
Bill

Bill, some outstanding choices, at least the one's that I've been to (I've only been here 2 years and am a starving law student, though, so not very often that I frequent the higher end restaurants :cry: ). Personally, I prefer Murray's to Manny's, but think they are both great.

It's not a fine wine restaurant, but have you tried Broder's pasta bar on 50th and Penn? It's more in my price range, but don't let that fool you. It offers absolutely outstanding food for the price. Simple wine list, though.

Murray's has old-school appeal (especially before the re-do) and I like that, but the menu and wine-list aren't quite as good as Manny's IMHO. Oddly, I've never been to Broder's, despite the fact that I live very close. I'll check it out on your recommendation. We'll have to do something 'bout that wine list though...
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Steven Noess

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:45 pm

Minneapolis, MN USA

by Steven Noess » Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:44 pm

Bill,
Broder's is a pretty small restaurant, but highly popular, so it is fairly busy 7 nights a week. They don't accept reservations, but allow you to add your name to the wait list by phone approximately 1 hour before you arrive....I highly recommend doing this for a better experience.

their number: 612.925.9202

enjoy!

PS: make sure you go to Broder's Pasta Bar on the south side of 50th, not their "Cucina Italiana," which is take out on the north side of the street.