Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Do you like white pepper?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Do you like white pepper?

by Jenise » Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:23 pm

I recently gave a dinner guest the opportunity to tell me about anything they're allergic to "or would pretend to be in order to ensure it doesn't end up on your plate." Generally, I find out about allergies to certain nuts, lactic intolerances, that kind of thing.

Well this guest surprised me with "White pepper. I hate white pepper."

Not a problem, but it reminded me how often I've heard accomplished chefs from Julia Child on down say they hate white pepper.

I love it!!! Especially in white sauces. Wasn't something I had any experience with until falling in love with Chinese Hot and Sour Soup. I don't use it in everything but do use it just often enough that a jar sits stove-side along with a black pepper grinder and hot red pepper flakes.

Any other fans? And what are your favorite uses?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Do you like white pepper?

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:40 pm

I'll have to go look carefully. I have a mill just for white pepper but I also recently noticed that I like one of my white peppercorns way more than the other... but I have to look up the origins.
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:37 pm

That is interesting. They're very similar to me. Black pepper has a lot more interesting aromatics than white, but still in the same ballpark. Are there people who like mace but not nutmeg? For some reason our family has bad luck with white pepper. I bought an inexpensive glass-jarred pepper grinder and it just sheared off in my hands. It was cool to feel like The Hulk but I did not appreciate the shards in my mashed potatoes. I have been putting off replacing it, so I just have a few corns in the grinding head. Certainly a niche spice, but flecks of black pepper in mashed potatoes especially are unappetizing. doubly so when the potatoes sit and the dark color diffuses into the mash.
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:07 pm

I like it and I think it plays particularly well with nutmeg.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:07 pm

I like white pepper. It's a staple in East Asian cooking. I don't recall any Thai or Sichuan dishes that call for black pepper. And I'm with Jenise--IMO it's the heat agent to use in hot-and-sour soup (although the Sichuan version uses chiles).

There are also green peppercorns--the unripe berries of the pepper vine. In Thailand you can get them fresh at the market. I get them in jars, pickled in brine, at the local Thai grocery. They add a soft, warm heat and subtle flavor to curries. I especially like them in Thai jungle curry.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:37 pm

I do use and like white pepper in certain applications but how the berries are processed makes a difference. I have a nose for mold and peppercorns that are soaked in standing water to remove the shell have an aroma that I can't tolerate. This is not the case when processed in constant flowing water. I might be overly sensitive but a comparison between Penzey's Sarawak and Muntok convinced me. This is one spice that I don't buy from any other merchant.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:41 pm

Christina Georgina wrote:I do use and like white pepper in certain applications but how the berries are processed makes a difference. I have a nose for mold and peppercorns that are soaked in standing water to remove the shell have an aroma that I can't tolerate. This is not the case when processed in constant flowing water. I might be overly sensitive but a comparison between Penzey's Sarawak and Muntok convinced me. This is one spice that I don't buy from any other merchant.

Those are the two I have. I like the Sarawak (running water process) better.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:18 pm

You asked them if they were allergic to anything and they came back with a totally different subject - what they didn't like the taste of.

I'd have said thank you and used white pepper if I wanted to as they weren't allergic to it (and likely wouldn't have been able to tell if it was in the food or not).

If you'd asked them if there was anything they just didn't like, it would have been different.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:09 am

Bill Spohn wrote:You asked them if they were allergic to anything and they came back with a totally different subject - what they didn't like the taste of.

I'd have said thank you and used white pepper if I wanted to as they weren't allergic to it (and likely wouldn't have been able to tell if it was in the food or not).

If you'd asked them if there was anything they just didn't like, it would have been different.

But she did. Read the OP.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:32 pm

Yes, I like white pepper and have it in a white pepper grinder next to a bold black pepper. I use it in white sauces, many times paired with nutmeg. I like it in certain fruit salads, when I want the color of the fruits to be the star. I have used it in omelets when I want a nice mild white cheese flavor to come through instead of pepper. White pasta, white fish, anywhere I want a pungent punch of pepper by not the black flecks.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:34 pm

Paul Winalski wrote: I especially like them in Thai jungle curry.

-Paul W.

I'm a pictorial thinker and images often jump into my head unbidden. And so it was when I read you saying "Thai jungle curry" and immediately pictured you (and I don't even know what you look like IRL) in a setting right out of Gilligan's Island in a grass skirt with a giant shark tooth hanging around your neck eating curry out of a coconut shell.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:40 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:
Bill Spohn wrote:You asked them if they were allergic to anything and they came back with a totally different subject - what they didn't like the taste of.

But she did. Read the OP.

You're right Jeff, it was an either/or question. Our best friends won't eat raw tomatoes or anything with visible onions in it. My brother has tummy issues and can no longer eat anything too spicy. Another friend won't touch cheese--and I don't know if that's a lactose intolerance not. I'm happy to cook around any dislike, but "white pepper" was definitely not the kind of answer I expected.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:46 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:
Christina Georgina wrote:I do use and like white pepper in certain applications but how the berries are processed makes a difference. I have a nose for mold and peppercorns that are soaked in standing water to remove the shell have an aroma that I can't tolerate. This is not the case when processed in constant flowing water. I might be overly sensitive but a comparison between Penzey's Sarawak and Muntok convinced me. This is one spice that I don't buy from any other merchant.

Those are the two I have. I like the Sarawak (running water process) better.

Interesting. I have never EVER had white pepper out of a pepper grinder. I buy/use Penzey's ground exclusively and have no idea what peppercorns go in there. I did notice that my brother just ordered some and his is darker and a bit coarser than the superfine powder I've always received. Wonder what's going on there.

When I use it, it's rarely just a little bit. When I want it, I typically use A LOT. One of my fave comfort foods on the planet is creamed peas and I want so much in there that the dish is hot because of it. It's never a side dish, it's a mono-meal. One big bowl of peas just for me and it's really more like one big bowl of endorphins. When I eat that, it satisfies on many more levels than mere food.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:19 pm

"When I use it, it's rarely just a little bit. When I want it, I typically use A LOT. One of my fave comfort foods on the planet is creamed peas and I want so much in there that the dish is hot because of it. It's never a side dish, it's a mono-meal. One big bowl of peas just for me and it's really more like one big bowl of endorphins. When I eat that, it satisfies on many more levels than mere food."

Interesting, as an adult, I never eat peas anymore unless they are freshly picked from the Farmers Market. However, when I was a kid, my Granpa grew a huge garden and a very large crop of fresh peas. I would sit in the dirt, pick peas, and eat them until I was stuffed. I'd toss the shells to my dog, who gobbled them up with delight. My mom often tried to give me canned peas, ugh. And I never much cared for the frozen either unless they were tossed into a really good soup, but fresh is an entirely different thing. I don't recall ever having creamed peas, but it does sound good.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:23 pm

Karen, the other essential ingredient for creamed peas is a few squirts of lemon juice. But hey, no frozen peas? Of all the frozen vegetables in the world, they are by far the best and my freezer's never without them. I love them cooked, frozen in the palm of my hand for a snack, in salads and many of the other conventional uses. No canned though, never.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:54 pm

My mom liked green peas from a can. When she opened the kitchen cabinet I would throw my voice, "Ooh, eat us! Pick us up! We want to get out of this can!" :lol:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:45 am

Strangely my father adored canned peas but would not eat fresh or frozen. That's one of only about three things we ever knew our father to not like--he had a great palate and ate EVERYTHING. So one year moons later when I had them over for Thanksgiving dinner, I served peas as one of the vegetables and made sure Dad was seated next to my right where he would, of course, pass me the huge bowl of peas that were passed to him (we were religious about clockwise passing) so that I could in turn start quoting every lecture we got as kids about not eating this or that while heaping one spoonful after another of those peas on his plate. Revenge is sweet!
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:49 pm

There are only two things I can say that I literally hate and will not eat under any circumstances: peas and calves liver! There are things I don’t eat because the sight of them are off-putting in a way that causes me to wretch. Top among them are oyesters and eggs with runny yolks! Just can’t bring myself to do it. YUCK. :|
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:15 pm

Jenise wrote:'m a pictorial thinker and images often jump into my head unbidden. And so it was when I read you saying "Thai jungle curry" and immediately pictured you (and I don't even know what you look like IRL) in a setting right out of Gilligan's Island in a grass skirt with a giant shark tooth hanging around your neck eating curry out of a coconut shell.

Nah, I don't even wear a sola topi while eating it. :D

-Paul W.