Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Black garlic

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

Black garlic

by Barb Downunder » Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:57 am

Anyone had much experience with black garlic?
I recently went mad and bought some online and there’s quite a lot! Lol
It is a curious thing, slightly sweet, slight bitterness, that sort of caramel vibe, not strong on the garlic notes.
I’ve been using it almost as a spread on crostini, in tomato sauces, good with eggs.
Will be trying it with a cheese board soon. And thinking with mushrooms and friends who I have given a heap to liked it on pork chops.
D be interested in any thoughts you may have.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: Black garlic

by Rahsaan » Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:04 am

New thing for me, and I believe we discussed it here recently. I've been enjoying it very much. I love 'regular' garlic, but the lingering smells can be a hassle. Of course the sweet notes of black garlic allow for different applications, but it still goes in a wide range of my usual dishes, as you note.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:01 pm

A friend tasted me on some a couple years ago; great.

Bought two heads. Still have one. Can't figure out what to do with it other than mash it up and spread it.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:25 pm

I mentioned to a friend several times how much I loved the black garlic/mushroom/sage sauce served on ricotta dumplings at a local restaurant. Friend gave me some black garlic. I found this article useful
https://www.seriouseats.com/what-to-do- ... ack-garlic
Faves were probably the dressings (both ranch and vinaigrette) and aioli ideas. Didn't love the deviled eggs, others did.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:52 pm

Interesting article, Dale, thanks for posting. I really liked this idea (and the way the chef expressed it): If you wanna go extra crazy, rub your steaks with the black garlic before you grill them—because the garlic is so aged you get a nice char when searing the meat. I recommend not making out with anyone for at least an hour after eating that, but it is good.

I have only owned black garlic once, and what I had was not IMO a good example of the breed. It wasn't pasty, it was dry past that point. I eventually tossed it and have failed to acquire more.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:57 am

Great article, thanks Dale.
I tossed some green beans in butter with black garlic and as a hot vegetable it was Houma, however next day it was wonderful at room temperature, so that was my appetiser and perfect prelude to a mushroom risotto.