Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

An unsatisfactory experiment with skate wing

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

An unsatisfactory experiment with skate wing

by John Tomasso » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:35 am

There's fish stores. And there's Randazzo's, on Arthur Avenue, in the Bronx. Randazzo's is my favorite fish store because they always at least half a dozen seafood varieties displayed which I've never cooked before, encouraging experimentation.
On a recent visit, I picked up a couple of pieces of skate wing, which they skinned at the store for me. Now, I've had skate in restaurants many times, but I've never prepared it at home, and wasn't sure what to expect. Since dinner was only for my father and me, I knew I wouldn't go too far wrong, as he eats just about anything without complaint.
My first idea was to braise it in tomato sauce, but I scrapped that because on the prior Friday night I did a similar treatment of bacala, so I didn't want to be redundant.
I fished around (npi) on the net for some recipes, and one theme kept repeating - floured, fried, and finished with a lemon, caper and butter sauce. It sounded good as a second course for escarole and beans, so I went with that plan.

I seasoned some flour with salt and pepper, and dredged the wing pieces in it. I fried them on one side, and then the other, in olive oil, and then let the pan set in a 200 F degree oven with the door ajar while we ate the beans - that's usually good enough to keep fish warm but not continue cooking it.

The skate had an odd texture - the flesh came off the bone in spaghetti like strands - it reminded me a bit, tastewise, of halibut, and had a similar color. The texture was a bit softer. It wasn't chewy or rubbery at all. The turn off for me was the strand like quality - I couldn't get enough in my mouth at one time; it was far too much work.
My father of course pronounced it pretty good, which probably means he hated it.

I love cooking for him.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

Re: An unsatisfactory experiment with skate wing

by David Creighton » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:36 pm

if you bread it, you'll keep the strands together.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: An unsatisfactory experiment with skate wing

by Bob Ross » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:45 pm

I've found it best to cut skate into bite sized portions before cooking, no matter what cooking technique is used. Breading works, but even then, I pre-cut the skate.

I like Randazzo's too -- they suggested this Aussie site for skate recipes. I've tried several of the recipes, and they all seem to suggest pre-cutting.

Regards, Bob