Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

choice round sirloin tip roast

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

choice round sirloin tip roast

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:39 am

When I posted yesterday what I was making for dinner, I purposely left out the cut of meat I was using. I had to try it first and am happy to say a new find for me who is crazy about braised meats. My favorite lady meat cutter approached me last week as I was looking for a nice chuck roast. She picked up a package of beef labeled Choice Round Sirloin Tip Roast. She explained that it was going over will with folks like me, who love to braise but want less fat, plus I noticed it was 2$ per pound less than a chunk roast. I asked a lot of questions, then came home and did some research on this cut. Yes, it was great for stew and braising.
So, the bottom line here is that it worked very well. It comes apart easily, has a silky mouth feel and was very moist. I loved the Fennel, sherry wine combo along with carrots added near the end of cooking time. I broke the roast up into large chunks . Recipe called for using a immersion blender to make a gravy out of the veggies, but I left everything the way it was.
Recipe is courtesy of Giada de Laurentius on Food Network
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: choice round sirloin tip roast

by Jenise » Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:57 pm

Of course the cow didn't grow a new part, someone's just cutting something differently. Having not heard of it before now, I googled it and didn't come up with any images with that specific name though lots of generic 'sirloin' stuff. If you find one that looks like what you bought, please share!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:29 am

Jenise, there are a ton of recipes for braising a sirloin tip, but not the exact name I gave. I have contacted a rep at Sterling Silver Premium meats and presented your question. When I hear back I will send their reply. The roast looked to me very similar as a chuck roast, it was a round, thick cut with less fat. Yesterday morning I removed the congealed fat from the top of the juices and it was a thinner, less messy fat, and more of an ivory color rather than the almost goldish color I get from the chuck roasts.
All I can say, it sure braised up nicely, and I loved it. Even better last night.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:19 pm

I found this glossary of beef roast cuts, with illustrations. It has this to say about sirloin tip roast:

"The sirloin tip roast (also known as round tip roast) is cut from the hindquarters, adjacent to the sirloin. The sirloin tip roast is flavorful, but like most lean cuts, it can be tough and should be braised or stewed. The sirloin tip roast can also be used for kebabs or slowly oven-roasted at a low temperature."

So it would appear that the name "round sirloin tip roast" is an amalgam of "sirloin tip roast" and "round tip roast" so that it would be recognized by consumers familiar with either name. "Choice" of course is a USDA quality designation.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:25 pm

My mother used to pot roast sirloin tip roasts. I liked them. She cooked carrots and potatoes along with the meat.
Of course, pot roasting and braising are pretty much the same thing.
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:40 am

Great explanation Paul, thanks for the information.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:06 pm

So a local market advertisement that came yesterday has a special on sirloin roasts this weekend.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov