Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Hot cross pudding..

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

Hot cross pudding..

by Barb Downunder » Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:11 am

So I have some extra sour dough hot cross buns which I’m going to turn into a bread pudding riffing on a N*awlins recipe. The usual accompaniment is a whiskey sauce but I want to serve something a bit different, not least because my guest doesn’t like whiskey. So I’m musing on a sub for the whiskey in the same format(egg, sugar, butter, booze) or another sauce entirely which might complement the fruit and spice that the buns bring to the pud.
Any thoughts? Sweets are not my strong suit.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Hot cross pudding..

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:31 pm

Well, if it's gotta be boozy I think the clear choice is rum, which is sweet.

If it's OK to go further afield, I suppose any fruit-flavored liquor/liqueur would work, too: Cointreau (bitter oranges) might be kinda strong but Calvados (bitter apples) seems tailor-made. I'd avoid anything too thick and goopy on its own but any schnapps or flavored vodka should work, too.

Another idea is to skip the booze, use an extra dollop of vanilla and add some chocolate chips to the pan. A simple sugar glaze on top, maybe?
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

Re: Hot cross pudding..

by Barb Downunder » Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:28 am

Thanks Jeff great ideas.
Rum does sound like a goer, but I do have calvados as well, so I’ll taste both with one of the buns after dinner and see which is better.
Actually I have Cointreau too so I might try that.
And then I’ll try not to falll over LOL