Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Anyone watching the series 'Julia Child' on HBO?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Anyone watching the series 'Julia Child' on HBO?

by Jenise » Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:23 pm

It's really, really good.

The actress who plays Julia is really terrific. She delivers all of Julia's quirky height, trademark voice and ability to command a room with Julia's kindness to her fans and deep love for her husband Paul as she almost accidentally carves out her new career on TV--not as easy as we might have thought looking at the end result years later, especially when you consider the condescending all-male landscape she was operating in.

We're loving it!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Anyone watching the series 'Julia Child' on HBO?

by Robin Garr » Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:15 pm

It's on our to-watch list. Glad to hear your good review!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:32 am

I am sure you'll like it. I didn't expect to like it this much!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:12 pm

HBO is one of the channels I don't subscribe to - we couldn't get it in Canada for many years (I have enough others - Netflix, Prime, Britbox, PBS Masterpiece, and Acorn). Sounds like a good show, though.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:53 pm

Jenise, are you on a Dish satellite? If so, what channel package do you have? I am asking because our local Dish business retired due to health. I want a better package to include HBO . So I have been doing some research, way to many choices these days and it gets confusing.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:49 pm

Note that this is HBO MAX, not regular HBO. (It's their Netflix clone. It even looks like Netflix.)

Here (NYC), I can either buy it directly from its website ( https://www.hbomax.com/ ) for either $10 or $15/mo, or I can subscribe to any HBO package via my cable provider and then that login will work on the HBO MAX site.

I'd love to watch it but meh on more channels.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat May 07, 2022 2:33 pm

I hear you and Bill about more channels. Though I'm missing out on shows elsewhere (Hulu, AppleTV) I know I'd like, I can't watch everything available to me as it is.

Karen, I get it from Comcast/Xfinity. We're not on satellite (can't attach one to our house, for one).
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue May 10, 2022 11:50 am

Interesting episode last night in which Julia gets chewed out by feminist Barbara Friedan. Wonder if that actually happened?
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Tue May 10, 2022 9:49 pm

Jenise wrote:Interesting episode last night in which Julia gets chewed out by feminist Barbara Friedan. Wonder if that actually happened?

I don't doubt that it happened. But, it's hard for me to believe that it left Julia so shaken. She didn't strike me as someone who got shaken very easily. But I liked the juxtaposition between the two trains of thought between the two women.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed May 11, 2022 1:00 pm

I just realized: it's Betty, not Barbara, isn't it. My bad. But maybe I'm just bullheaded in the same way Julia was: I can easily imagine her thinking she was doing something for women and being shocked at the takedown, the idea that she was hurting women by training them to be better at their stereotypical female roles.

I also wonder if James Beard really took her to a drag bar. I hope so!