Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Corn oddities

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Corn oddities

by Larry Greenly » Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:13 am

A couple of months ago, I ran across some jars of corncob syrup and corncob jelly that I had made and forgot about. Been using them lately on pancakes/waffles/fried mush, and toast.

The syrup is simple: boil a bunch of corncobs, remove cobs, add sugar, and boil down to a syrup. Tastes good, with a corny flavor.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Corn oddities

by Jenise » Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:49 am

I'll bet it's good. The only reason I'd never make it, Larry, is that I don't care for the kind of foods that love sweet syrups.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:23 pm

Jenise wrote:I'll bet it's good. The only reason I'd never make it, Larry, is that I don't care for the kind of foods that love sweet syrups.

Not even real maple syrup on waffles?
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:06 am

Our daughter has maple trees in Ohio and taps them, then she and hubby make their own syrup. She gave me two quarts of the syrup last Christmas. Trouble is, waffles, pancakes upset my stomach, stuff settles like a rock.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:02 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Our daughter has maple trees in Ohio and taps them, then she and hubby make their own syrup. She gave me two quarts of the syrup last Christmas. Trouble is, waffles, pancakes upset my stomach, stuff settles like a rock.

Maple syrup is a good glaze for roasted birds, carrots (and other root veg).

I hear it's good on hot oatmeal (but not my thing).
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat May 07, 2022 2:35 pm

Nope, not even on waffles (or pancakes). I'm not into sweet food. I do keep maple syrup on hand for sweetening marinades and the like, however, especially when I want a crusty outcome but they're never sweet-sweet.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov