Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Stewing advice needed

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Stewing advice needed

by Paul Winalski » Mon May 02, 2022 12:45 pm

So last night I made lu rou--pork stewed in aromatic broth--as a way to recycle the lovely aromatic marinade I had used for grilled chicken wings. I enhanced the marinade with a commercial spice packet intended specifically for lu--it has cinnamon, a small dried chile, fennel, dried ginger, and hawthorn berries. I also added some dark soy sauce and enough unsalted chicken broth so that the meat was covered. I simmered all this for 1-1/4 hours.

It came out delicious, except for one thing: the meat, although very tender and flavorful, was dry. So I'm seeking advice from those experienced with meat stews on where I might have gone wrong.

The recipes for lu call for using a fatty cut of pork; leg meat is recommended. I chose Boston butt, which is my go-to cut for Carolina-style pulled pork barbecue. When barbecued it comes out tender, flavorful, and, while being pulled apart by hand, a bit greasy. So I cut the Boston butt into 1-inch cubes.

I put everything into a pot, brought it to a boil, and then lowered that to a simmer.

I did have a heat control problem at one point--the stuff had returned to a rolling boil.

So thinking about what may have gone wrong here:

o wrong cut of meat?

o should have brought the liquid to a boil by itself, before adding the meat?

o should have browned the meat first?

o dried out due to that rolling boil midway?

o didn't cook it long enough?

Advice appreciated.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

Re: Stewing advice needed

by John Treder » Mon May 02, 2022 1:12 pm

Was the meat cubed or just in one chunk? After you reduced the heat partway through, was the meat still covered?
You say the meat was tender and tasty, but dry. That isn't a combination I've experienced, so I'm sort of tossing random darts.
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon May 02, 2022 2:47 pm

The meat was overcooked. When you boil meat the muscle fibers contract and squeeze out internal water. So the idea is to slow cook at a low temperature, giving enough time for the connective tissue to break down into a silky texture.

I usually sear the surface lightly to ramp up the taste. Your choice.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon May 02, 2022 3:16 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:o wrong cut of meat?
o should have brought the liquid to a boil by itself, before adding the meat?
o should have browned the meat first?
o dried out due to that rolling boil midway?
o didn't cook it long enough?

My instinctive reaction, after reading your story, is that the cut of meat was not suitable, not fatty enough. So the long cooking, especially with a high-heat episode, rendered too much fat out of it.

I have also now sat down and read a dozen lu rou recipes. They vary quite a bit but all of them say to cut the meat in smaller pieces (and not just the S Taiwanese ones), all say to brown the meat first, and almost all say to simmer for only a half hour.

Only one insisted that only belly will work, but some of the 'ok to use leg' recipes then said to add lard.
no avatar
User

Ted Richards

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Toronto, Canada

by Ted Richards » Mon May 02, 2022 4:11 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:o dried out due to that rolling boil midway?

That's my guess. I always found beef stews dry until I learned to only let it gently simmer. I imagine pork's the same.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue May 03, 2022 11:16 am

John Treder wrote:Was the meat cubed or just in one chunk? After you reduced the heat partway through, was the meat still covered?

The meat was cubed, in one-inch chunks. It was covered by liquid throughout the cooking process.

I think Larry has the right diagnosis. Next time I will try cutting the meat into smaller chunks (1" isn't very chopstick-friendly), browning the meat first, adding the meat only after the liquid reaches the boil, and cooking at a lower simmer.

Thank you all.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue May 03, 2022 6:41 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:
John Treder wrote:Was the meat cubed or just in one chunk? After you reduced the heat partway through, was the meat still covered?

The meat was cubed, in one-inch chunks. It was covered by liquid throughout the cooking process.

I think Larry has the right diagnosis. Next time I will try cutting the meat into smaller chunks (1" isn't very chopstick-friendly), browning the meat first, adding the meat only after the liquid reaches the boil, and cooking at a lower simmer.

Thank you all.

-Paul W.

But don't overdo the searing and dry out the meat, particularly if the cubes are small. You'll know if the cubes shrink a lot.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri May 06, 2022 1:43 pm

Last night's dinner was leftovers from the lu rou. I reheated some of the chunks of meat, along with some of the lu stewing liquid. Taking a page out of the shredded pork barbecue book, I broke up the meat chunks into shreds and was pleased to see that they absorbed most of the liquid. Served over rice, this was delicious and the meat was a lot moister than it had been before. A lot of low-simmer dishes improve when re-heated, but I think breaking up the chunks corrected most of the dryness problem.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat May 07, 2022 1:39 pm

Coming in late, but I agree with Larry about the outcome and your choice of Boston Butt. That's the right cut for this kind of braise. I would, however, recommend strips not squarish chunks. Thinner pieces, easy to muster with chopsticks.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov