Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Beef Brisket

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Beef Brisket

by Karen/NoCA » Thu May 12, 2022 4:15 pm

This is my favorite way to do a Brisket
1 beef brisket
1 Tablespoon Liquid Smoke
Garlic salt
Wrap these ingredients in foil, place on baking pan, for 8 to 10 hours in fridge
Bake in foil, in pan, for 8 hours at 250°
Drain, cool, remove fat. Put meat in new foil, and add 1 bottle BBQ sauce (my favorite home made recipe to follow) pour over meat and put in fridge for 8 hours.
Slice into 1 inch slices, pour another bottler of sauce over meat and bake at 350° covered for the first 30 minutes of cooking, uncover and let meat brown.

Texas style BBQ Sauce
2 1/2 cups catsup
3/4 cups brown sugar
1 1/2 cups chili sauce
1 1/2 cups red wine vinegar
1 1/2 cups water
3/4 can beer
3/4 cups fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup prepared mustard
1 Tablespoon celery seed
4 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
2 cloves garlic minced
Dash of hot pepper sauce such as Tabasco or to taste
Ground black pepper to taste.
Mix all ingredients, let sit overnight in fridge.

This recipe was given to me decades ago. It is very time consuming, I made it four times, each time for large family gatherings and everyone raved about it.
The BBQ sauce recipe makes a ton, so you have a lot leftover. Both recipes are outstanding, but too much work in my book, unless you have someone to cook with you. Recipe is posted as written by an old grandad of a neighbor of ours.
BBQ recipe was actually on a brisket I bought.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Beef Brisket

by Jenise » Fri May 13, 2022 11:13 am

So esssentially the meat is fully cooked in step 1, and just acquiring more character/seasoning and handle-ability in steps 2 and 3.

I'm doing flank steak on Sunday for a Booze Group dinner. My food theme will be Southwestern, and the steak will have a chipotle rub and be topped with a maitre'd butter made with lime zest, lime juice and cilantro. I'm sorely tempted to switch to brisket, which I can tweak in a similar direction, if I can find one. Thank you for posting!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Beef Brisket

by Jeff Grossman » Fri May 13, 2022 12:17 pm

Thanks, Karen! This does look like it takes forever but it probably is really good. That sauce is all based on wet ingredients, I notice, unlike the one I sometimes use (Joy of Cooking "Ferocious Barbecue Sauce") which has a lot of ground seasonings mixed in.