Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Morels

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Morels

by Jeff Grossman » Wed May 25, 2022 3:16 am

I saw a good price on fresh black Oregon morels -- maybe the only good thing to come out of wild fires -- so I bought a pound. Just in the mood for something out of the ordinary for me.

Came today. Beautiful specimens. One large one, about the size of my palm, but the rest like one or two thumbs. Firm, only 1 or 2 have gone soft. The shrooms were packed in a 6" cube and clearly way more than a pound. After the first round of cleaning and trimming, it was over 1.5# still.

The provider warned that they come from an ashy region so need a thorough wash. I trimmed any stems with black specks stuck to them and cut most in half. I agitated and rinsed them four times, in all. (Saw no wildlife and wasn't expecting any; it's a fancy purveyor.)

So I'm making a pot of morels in cream sauce (butter, lemon, thyme, a splash of madeira, cream) and plan to use it up over the coming week. Or maybe I should freeze some. Would the sauce split?
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Re: Morels

by Bill Spohn » Wed May 25, 2022 12:52 pm

Sounds great in a pastry shell!

The cream sauce might split when you thaw and then warm it up but you can usually fix it by stirring it into a 1/2 cup or so of reduced heavy cream.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed May 25, 2022 4:16 pm

How lovely. Care to share the purveyor's name?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed May 25, 2022 7:42 pm

https://www.regalisfoods.com/products/b ... nica-morel

The price is down a couple dollars more. Must be getting to be time to move 'em out.