Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Vietnamese Savory Prawn Coconut Pancakes Bánh Khọt

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Vietnamese Savory Prawn Coconut Pancakes Bánh Khọt

by Bill Spohn » Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:03 pm

We will be doing a Rose event in July, where each couple brings a couple of bottles of Rose and some sort of finger food.

I was watching a food show on TV and they were making banh khot - a small pancake with a prawn in the middle of it - and what did they use but an ebelskiver pan which I had posted on before - we have been doing savoury (as opposed to sweet) ebelskivers as nibbles to eat with wine.

If anyone is familiar with banh khot, please speak up and give us some tips. If anyone is interested in them, see

https://beyondsweetandsavory.com/vietnamese-savory-prawn-coconut-pancakes-banh-khot/
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Vietnamese Savory Prawn Coconut Pancakes Bánh Khọt

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:15 pm

That looks really excellent, Bill. (...but I have none of the main ingredients, nor an ebelskiver pan, so I'll just admire it from a distance).
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:50 pm

Cool idea, those round little cups. Perhaps any crepe batter would do?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:05 am

I picked up an ebelskiver pan a couple of years ago, and it's really a lot of fun coming up with different batters and fillings for it. I've never tried this prawn/coconut recipe though, much as I love Viet foods. I do want to try making my own takoyaki one of these day, but it will have to be when my wife is away. She's rather put off by the idea of eating octopus, convinced that a sucker will get stuck in her throat :lol:
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:54 pm

Do not, under any circumstances, watch this video of live octopus sushi (especially not about 2:00 into it): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8czotIM__SY