Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Thread link to Bill's annual terrine event!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Thread link to Bill's annual terrine event!

by Jenise » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:47 pm

For those of you who don't follow the wine forum:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=67224&p=507196#p507196
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Thread link to Bill's annual terrine event!

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:48 am

Thanks.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:19 am

So how was the food in Ireland?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:03 pm

Fresh and dismal: In the country areas, "eating out" pretty much means pubs. These are cheerful, lively places, with an extensive tap of beers and ciders, live music very often, and a limited menu of the same six things, over and over: fish & chips, Irish stew, a burger, a chicken cutlet, and a few other equally hoary options. Portions are large, which is, in truth, no consolation.

Slightly larger towns will also have a take-out Chinese or Thai place. Recognizable dishes.

You can do better in Belfast and Dublin. We had a choice of several speakeasies in Dublin, including at least one very good one, The Vintage Cocktail Club. There is a wide assortment of modern-style restaurants -- lighter preps, vegetarian feasts, game meats, ethnic dishes (Italian, Persian, etc.). Like any big city.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:14 pm

"a limited menu of the same six things"

England was much like that when I lived there eons ago. Plowman's platter, sausage rolls, steak and kidney pie.... And Chinese food had almost no green vegetables, and the tea came with milk in it if you didn't stop them. Yeah, oolong with milk. But I thought it would be a lot better now--London itself is a million times better and I wouldn't have expected less of Ireland. I'm disappointed for you that you didn't find it to be the case.