Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Pizza cutter recommendations?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Pizza cutter recommendations?

by Jenise » Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:41 pm

You guys helped me find a great new peeler, so what about pizza cutters?

Maybe a year ago I bought this one:
https://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-KE113 ... HJ1ZQ&th=1

And I hate it. It's no sharper than the dull one I'd had for the previous 20 years and wanted to replace. Mind you: I don't make soft pizzas. I make thin crust pizzas with crisp bottoms. Which are rectangles (because my oven is too shallow for a round pizza pan). I generally slice a pizza into 15 slices: two slices the length of the pizza and four the width produce 3 rows of five slices each. The Kitchen Aid is cheap and useless on my crisp bottoms.

Any recommendations?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Pizza cutter recommendations?

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:52 am

Jenise, I have one I like, no name on it, but you can also use a sharp, long knife, works even better than the cutter. Keeps all the ingredients in place, too. They actually make special knives for cutting pizza.
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:39 am

Wow, those new KA pizza wheel cutters really are a downgrade from the model I have! I guess it must have been about 15 years ago now that I purchased one of their "Professional" models for what I thought at the time was the exhorbitant amount of 25-ish dollars. But it's heavy and solid, with a great wheel size, a large stabilizing handle, and just a single finger guard on the bottom. Most importantly: it's sharp, and has stayed that way. I still use it constantly, not just for pizza but for cutting dough strips, mincing fresh herbs, etc.

Just checking Google, I see prices for used ones start at around 65 dollars on eBay, and go up to an almost 400 dollar example I found on poshmark! So I guess I should stop whining about that 25 dollar initial outlay now....

FWIW, I have a very large 2-handled mezzaluna that does a very good job. Its one advantage is that it makes absolutely straight cuts, if that's important to you and you can't roll a traditional wheel cutter straight. I use mine sometimes just for the fun of it.
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:21 am

FWIW, I've given up on the cutter and resorted to using my Global Vegetable knife--it's a 7" long, 2" wide curved blade with a blunt edge that you can rock like a mezzaluna. Not as fast as being able to drive straight through on the 15" long cuts like you can with a wheel, but effective.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Ted Richards

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Toronto, Canada

by Ted Richards » Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:33 pm

I've finally given up on pizza cutters, and just use my favourite chef's knife. It works better 'cause it's easier to press down hard by putting my hand on top of the blade and rocking it a bit.

P.S. I make thin crust semi-crisp bottoms.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:36 am

Ted Richards wrote:I've finally given up on pizza cutters, and just use my favourite chef's knife. It works better 'cause it's easier to press down hard by putting my hand on top of the blade and rocking it a bit.

P.S. I make thin crust semi-crisp bottoms.

I'm with Ted. - I slide the pizza out onto the cutting board and have at it with my 10" Sabatier chef's knife. Does a better job and no clinging bits still connected like the roller style sometimes leave.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:20 pm

Made a tomato and onion pizza last night and once again went straight to my Global knife. I may just buy a mezzaluna--longer blade will help.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:47 pm

Shears. Slide one point under the edge then snip your way across.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:01 pm

I couldn't live without kitchen shears, I use mine almost every day. I cut all kinds of things not normally cut with scissors. Have to admit I never considered using them on pizza, though. My pizzas are 11 x 17--a knife blade would be faster, I think.
no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

by John F » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:34 pm

Jenise

We have this one and love it

Rösle Stainless Steel Ergonomic Pizza Wheel
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:47 am

Don't be so quick, Jenise, pizza shears are super-cool right now:
https://www.foodandwine.com/cooking-tec ... a-scissors
and
https://foodsguy.com/best-pizza-scissors/

The first article is certainly right about pizza in Rome: they bake long rectangular pies and, when you ask for some, they hold up the tray in one hand, hold the shears up to the edge of the pie in the other hand, adjusting until you call it, then snip. The official size is the 'etto' (eighth of a kilo) but the price is posted per 100g and they weigh the slice.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:29 pm

I only recall having pizza once in Rome, and it didn't happen like that. But for awhile we had a really good pizza place here in Bellingham that did likewise. You paid by the pound, and their combinations were super creative. I've not seen it anywhere else except magazines. I have led a sheltered life.

Thanks for the articles, was amazed to read how widespread this is without me knowing about it--how'd that happen? The FoodGuy article wasn't convincing, though. He ranked seven different pairs and I went to Amazon to read the reviews on his #3 ranked, and apparently they're flimsy and 100% plastic. Probably okay for your average frozen pizza or perpetually soft Dominos crust, but certainly not a professional tool. Much as I love scissors and use them in uncommon ways, I'm leaning toward a mezzaluna because I can cut a hot pizza without handling it--and reading about scissors convinced me of that, so thank you.