Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Advice about ovens

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Advice about ovens

by Christina Georgina » Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:56 pm

The lightbulb in my Miele Master Chef oven is extremely difficult to replace soooo my husband removed the heavy door for easier access. In putting it down beside the oven the exterior glass panel shattered. I have spent the better part of a week trying to replace the exterior panel and /or entire door calling Miele USA, Miele Canada, Miele distributors in Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota and Michigan. No distributor carries parts. No parts supply house or repair service carries parts. They are ordered from Milele when needed. The problem is that this oven went out of production in 2005 and Miele provides parts for not longer than 15 years after production ceases. No matching model on eBay. Waiting to hear if a tempered oven glass supplier can cut and drill a piece to fit but no such glass suppliers in my area. I likely will need a new oven and I'm so annoyed I don't want to think about using an oven for a very long time.
Any recommendations for a 30" single wall oven ?
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Advice about ovens

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:59 pm

No recommendations, Christina, but that sounds immensely frustrating. I'm sorry you have to deal with it.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:49 am

Ouch, Christina, that's terrible. I hate it when a simple process suddenly balloons into a nightmare.

Good luck with the hunt for a new oven.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:43 am

Christina what a pain!
When we renovated my current kitchen 8 years ago I just went for a simple fan forced standard wall oven from Omega. It’s been fine and I haven’t missed having the bells and whistles. The thing I really really love is that the door opens sideways (one of the reasons I chose it, another being it was on special) and it makes it sooooooo easy to clean and easier to use. And you don’t need to remove the door!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:39 am

Very frustrating, I have run into issues like that. Bought all high end appliances, thinking they would last a long time, and they did. Trouble is, cannot get parts. Can't even find a heat light for my Venmar fan over the cooktop. I have loved my Dacor ovens, great service from them for almost 20 years, convection if I want but have never used. Keep looking for someone to make the part your want. Got to be someone, that can do it. Barb's suggestion sounds good.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:07 pm

Oh your poor husband; I'll bet he feels SO bad.

Yes it looks like a new oven is in your future. I've drooled over the cafe-door kind from afar just for the fact that you don't have to back up three feet to accomodate the open door(s). I presume they seal as well, but maybe not.

The Miele types (Gaggenau, etc) are certainly the sleekest and most beautiful to my eye. How's the supply chain situation with these? When we replaced our DW last December, anything out of Germany (Bosch, Miele, Thermidor etc) was a long and undefined wait time.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

by Christina Georgina » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:07 pm

Thank you Jenise for your awareness of my husband's remorse. We have been happy with Miele otherwise. Taking the frame to a glass dealer tomorrow. It seems that they do not do anything with tempered glass but order a piece cut and drilled to measure. The additional wrinkle is that part of the glass is epoxied to the stainless steel frame and this might be the limiting factor.
I also like the cafe type door and GE Cafe has a 2 door model that is highly rated. I can't do Gaggenau because the nearest dealer is in Chicago 200 mi away. Dragging my feet at this point as I am about to return to caregiving duties and will not really need an oven for several months hoping that supply chain issues will not be an issue when I do return. I guess that one lesson is to buy a very newly released model and be aware of any limitation on service and parts.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

by Christina Georgina » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:50 pm

Inching toward a new oven. After 2 experienced glass guys [ 70 years between the two of them ] looked carefully at the stainless steel frame and jawed about the project, estimated a $500.00 cost, they respectfully declined saying that the epoxy removal and reapplication would be too difficult. Will keep checking eBay while reading oven reviews
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:24 am

Wishing you luck. At least you're having this problem now instead of a year ago when absolutely nothing was moving and delivery was anywhere from two months to a year. Do modern electric ovens use computer chips?--maybe shipping is only part of the problem.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov