Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

In praise of the frittata

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

In praise of the frittata

by Jenise » Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:33 pm

Maybe the best thing to come out of me learning to eat eggs (though limited to scrambled pretty much) is the discovery of the frittata and it's amazing usefulness in repurposing leftovers. Yesterday I took leftover tagliatelle from a shrimp scampi and leftover breakfast sausage from a few days before and dropped them into five beaten eggs with chopped tomato, several raw brussels sprouts chiffonaded, and diced red onion. Result? A heavenly brunch frittata which I topped with a drizzle of EVOO and fresh basil. No two are ever alike, and that's fun.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

DanS

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:10 pm

Re: In praise of the frittata

by DanS » Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:11 pm

Frittata has always been a go to dish around here for nights I can't think of what I want. As you say, it's a magnet for whatever leftovers you might have or anything you can put your hands on.

Eggs are one of my favorite foods. I don't think a day goes by that I don't have at least one. My on-the-go breakfast is a couple of hard cooked eggs that I always have in my fridge.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:46 am

I always have Momofuko eggs in my fridge, love them.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:58 pm

What'a a momofuko egg, Karen?

We had another frittata yesterday, because I had 1) more taglialini (not tagliatelle as previously reported), and a head of that small frilly cauliflower called fioretti, or something like that. Just those two items and a scoop of chopped calabrian chiles made a pretty fine frittata.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:54 pm

Momofuku eggs are their take on Chinese soy sauce eggs. These are eggs that are boiled, peeled, then marinated in a soy sauce-based mixture.

-Paul W.