Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Ketchup on Catsup

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Ketchup on Catsup

by Bill Spohn » Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:24 pm

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Ketchup on Catsup

by Jenise » Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:26 am

Interesting article! I could get lost on that website, so much stuff.

But hey, ketchup. Did you notice that in the 1938 advertisement for Heinz, the bottle says "Made in Canada"? Was surprised that the article, about an American product made by American tycoons and cooks, didn't address that.

And speaking of ketchup, I have exactly three uses for it: a dip for french fries, a dipping sauce (along with Chinese mustard) for fried shrimp, and as a component in a hot and vinegary barbecue sauce I make. Otherwise--nothing. However, I am reminded of ordering some barbecued ribs as an appetizer at the Rain City Grill in Vancouver about 25 years ago that was served with a "ketchup" that boasted of being made in house that day from fresh tomatoes. It was THAT, more than the ribs, that caused me to order it. It was wonderful: brightly colored, vinegary and full of baking type spices, only barely sweet, and I loved it. Never had anything like it before or since.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:14 am

Apparently the word 'ketchup' comes via Malay from a Chinese dialect word for fish sauce. I've seen the latinization 'ketjap' in some Southeast Asian recipes for various sauces. 'Catsup' is apparently an Anglicization. Growing up I remember the two major competing brands were Heinz Ketchup and Hunt's Catsup. Hunt's changed the name of their product from catsup to ketchup in 1988. I personally prefer French's ketchup because it uses sugar whereas the other major brands use high-fructose corn syrup.

I like ketchup on hamburgers, but mainly I like it with french fries. As a teen I considered the french fry mainly as a vehicle for conveying ketchup into the mouth.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:51 am

I rarely use Ketchup, but have is here for those who do. I like it with french fries, sometimes. I use Heinz Ketchup, called Simply, tastes better to me and no artificial sweeteners.. I have used it as an ingredient in BBQ sauces, some Asian sauces. Never use it on hamburgers, as I prefer a good mustard, or a Fourth Creek Habanero sauce.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:58 am

Regarding the benzoate kerfuffle, last time I looked the main problem is its use in conjunction with ascorbic acid (vitamin C), which is commonly used as an antioxidant both in commercial foods and in home canning. Ascorbate can react with benzoate to cleave off the -COOH group and yield trace amounts of benzene, which is carcinogenic. Sodium benzoate can give you an upset stomach when taken by itself in quantity, but the trace amounts in preserved foods is toxic mainly to molds (hence its use as a preservative) and is easily handled by the human liver.

Everything absorbed from the gut passes through the liver before entering the general bloodstream. The liver converts benzoate to hippuric acid by attaching the amino acid glycine to it. Hippuric acid is excreted by the kidneys.

We studied this process in the Biochemistry lab course I took as an undergrad. We divided up into pairs. One partner of each pair did the chemical synthesis of hippuric acid by reacting benzoyl chloride with glycine. The other partner did the biological synthesis by drinking a measured amount of sodium benzoate solution, collecting urine over the next couple of hours, and isolating the hippuric acid from the urine. As always with synthesis experiments, the grade depended on the experimental yield and the purity of the resulting hippuric samples.

You could tell the lab partners performing the biological synthesis. They were the ones walking around with the grim, pasty-pale faces. I tossed a coin with my lab partner and was fortunate to win the chemical synthesis.

The main problem is that this was a Biology Department course and therefore being performed in a Biology lab room, not a proper organic chemistry lab. Benzoyl chloride is a powerful lachrymator--it reacts with water to form hydrochloric acid. It is very volatile and is often used in tear gas. This lab room had only one fume hood, and that was being used to dispense the benzoyl chloride. All the rest of the experiment was conducted in open air. So you had half the students carrying around open beakers of liquid tear gas and the other half carrying around open beakers of urine. We tried opening all the windows and doors to the lab to help clear the air but that didn't work very well. It was one of the more memorable experiments of my academic career, right up there with almost killing myself while synthesizing molecular chlorine.

-Paul W.
Last edited by Paul Winalski on Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:38 am

Great story Paul. One of my neighbors had a daughter, and years ago when she was putting herself through school, she volunteered to become a Guinea pig for testing vaccines. She had a lot of stories too. Thankfully, she survived to get through school, marry, become a mom and live a good life. We were worried though...
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:28 pm

I think most hamburgers and most fried foods are improved with a bit of ketchup. Add horseradish for shrimp cocktail or Crab Louis. Definitely an ingredient in bbq sauces and the like.

As Paul said, the word comes to us via a fermented fish sauce, but we Westerners have done all sorts of things to it... mushroom ketchup, white ketchup, tomato ketchup. It became a catch-word for almost any sauce. It was H.J. Heinz, whose genius was Marketing, who firmly planted it in our minds as tomato-based.

And my favorite YT channel has an episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWlqxGQXZx8
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:19 pm

I don't use a lot of ketchup but we keep it around for my son, so I started cooking with it at times. Works surprisingly well (to me at least) as a base for sauces, mixed with soy sauce, garlic, onions. I guess it's the same principle as tomato paste, but with more flavor. But yes, I use sparingly because of all the gunk ingredients. Even in the organic fancy ketchup we buy.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:17 am

Funny - I must have some Poirot in me as I prefer mayo with chips to ketchup/catsup (a Belgian habit).

See this on the Belgian connection:

https://theculturetrip.com/europe/belgi ... ian-fries/
no avatar
User

Ted Richards

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Toronto, Canada

by Ted Richards » Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:57 am

Bill Spohn wrote:Funny - I must have some Poirot in me as I prefer mayo with chips to ketchup/catsup (a Belgian habit).

I'm with you. I love dipping oven-fried potato wedges in aïoli, especially with Old Bay Chicken Wings: https://www.seriouseats.com/wing-week-old-bay-wings

I have a rule of thumb in restaurants: If they're good fries, eat them plain or with mayo. If they're not, drown them in ketchup.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:51 pm

No, no mayo! Gross!

I often doctor ketchup with horseradish or sriracha.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:08 pm

Speaking of ketchup, just saw a copy of the so-called redacted version of the search warrant for Mar-a-lago. Every word was crossed out except 'ketchup'. :)
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:54 pm

Whataburger Spicy Ketchup is the shit.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:10 am

Ketchup is used for burgers here (along with mustard), and that is all.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:21 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Ketchup is used for burgers here (along with mustard), and that is all.

I have a friend who puts ketchup and guacamole together in the same burger.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:09 pm

Like catsup, mustard can be polarizing. I very much enjoy Dijon style mustard while finding 'ballpark' weenie mustard mildly distasteful, but I know that many people have the opposite feeling.

Jenise, would you like mayo if it was dyed red....?
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:50 pm

Cheap 'ballpark' mustard (such as French's) does have its place. The coating for Jamaican jerk chicken just isn't right if you use frou-frou mustard such as Dijon to make it.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:27 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Like catsup, mustard can be polarizing. I very much enjoy Dijon style mustard while finding 'ballpark' weenie mustard mildly distasteful, but I know that many people have the opposite feeling.

Jenise, would you like mayo if it was dyed red....?

NO. But I'm not a ketchup fan, only an infrequent user who likes french fries and fried shrimp dipped in it (though I usually doctor it to spice it up).

I actually love the taste of ballpark style mustard. I can eat it straight out of the jar. I just haven't bought any in years because I don't eat the kind of foods it would go on, whereas I have Dijon on hand all the time for a variety of uses.