Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

We are officially under attack

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

We are officially under attack

by John F » Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:33 pm

Team

We are in our Nantucket home later in the year than usual….and it has been WAY hotter than usual this year…. And as such:

We are under attack by tomatoes and especially cherry tomatoes. Any ideas on how best to manage that? In addition to the usual salad deployment… we have been roasting with olive oil and throwing on pasta etc

Any ideas for managing the flood?
Last edited by John F on Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

Re: We are officially under attack

by John Treder » Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:35 pm

You can use them in any Italianate dish that says "pomodoro." Also fine for making spaghetti sauce.
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:14 am

If I have heaps i bottle them, peeled and halved so I have home grown Tom’s for the winter and also I might bottle up some as passata . I always just do them plain so I can use them in any way..
Also tomato soup, ketchups,.
For a tasty luncheon dish try atomto and garlic tart tartin.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:55 am

I roast all my excess tomatoes. No need to skin or seed. Toss cherry tomatoes and any others you have on a sheet pan. Cut cherry toms in half if they are large, and regular size tomatoes into chunks. If sheet pan is full, add a whole head of garlic to roast, as well. Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper, sometimes I add Italian herb mix. Roast at 375° until a nice char is on the tomatoes. When done to your liking, put the whole sheet pan into a food processor and whirl away. I freeze in small 1 cup containers. Makes the best tomato sauce or paste if using a lot of paste tomatoes. If you prefer a little less char, you can also use them as sun-dried tomatoes for use in pastas, soups, or just to snack on. I learned this method from an Italian family who took part in starting our local Farmer's Market 46 years ago. The garlic will be done before the tomatoes. I take my tongs and squeeze the head to see if it feels soft. You can take it out to cool. When cool enough remove the cloves and squeeze them out into the food processor.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:16 pm

What I made for dinner last night: it's to-die-for heavenly. You NEED this. Oh, and it's vegan!!!! I served it with a 20 year old Rioja. Pure magic.

Mark Bittman's Tomato Paella

Ingredients
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
3½ cups stock or water
1½ pounds ripe tomatoes, cored and cut large dice or into thick wedges
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, minced
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon tomato paste
Large pinch saffron threads (optional)--I recommend it
1-2 teaspoons Spanish pimentón (smoked paprika), or other paprika (I used 1 tsp smoked)
2 cups Spanish Bomba or other short-grain rice
Minced parsley for garnish

Preparation
Step 1
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Warm stock or water in a saucepan. Put tomatoes in a medium bowl, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and drizzle them with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Toss to coat.

Step 2
Put remaining oil in a 10- or 12-inch ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables soften, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in tomato paste, saffron if you are using it, and paprika and cook for a minute more. Add rice and cook, stirring occasionally, until it is shiny, another minute or two. Add liquid and stir until just combined.

Step 3
Put tomato wedges on top of rice and drizzle with juices that accumulated in bottom of bowl. Put pan in oven and roast, undisturbed, for 15 minutes. Check to see if rice is dry and just tender. If not, return pan to oven for another 5 minutes. If rice looks too dry but still is not quite done, add a small amount of stock or water (or wine). When rice is ready, turn off oven and let pan sit for 5 to 15 minutes.

Step 4
Remove pan from oven and sprinkle with parsley. If you like, put pan over high heat for a few minutes to develop a bit of a bottom crust before serving.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:31 pm

Gee, the traditional fall attack vegetable in New England is the zucchini. :)

Ratatouille is a way to take care of excess production for both zucchini and tomatoes.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:28 pm

The folks at my greenmarket do what Karen recommends: roast (or simmer if you have big pots) and whirl for sauce, keeps in the freezer very well.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:51 am

Jenise that is the exact recipe I use. So delicious. A Bittman recipe I got here, I especially love the photo.
https://wednesdaychef.typepad.com/the_w ... ans-t.html
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:06 am

Karen/NoCA wrote:Jenise that is the exact recipe I use. So delicious. A Bittman recipe I got here, I especially love the photo.

It's SO SO SO good. Oh, and guess what, I participate on a Facebook food site that is mostly populated by Europeans. Someone there was crowing about a recipe by a well-known-to-them Englishwoman named "Delia" and her recipe for "baked risotto". Guess what--identical recipe to Mark's. Wonder who copied whom. No way to know, but I'd give the nod to Mark on name alone because, procedurally, it's a LOT closer to paella.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:47 am

Jenise wrote:
Karen/NoCA wrote:Jenise that is the exact recipe I use. So delicious. A Bittman recipe I got here, I especially love the photo.

It's SO SO SO good. Oh, and guess what, I participate on a Facebook food site that is mostly populated by Europeans. Someone there was crowing about a recipe by a well-known-to-them Englishwoman named "Delia" and her recipe for "baked risotto". Guess what--identical recipe to Mark's. Wonder who copied whom. No way to know, but I'd give the nod to Mark on name alone because, procedurally, it's a LOT closer to paella.

The Delia referred to would be Delia Smith a very well known TV cook in Britain and elsewhere she’s been around a very long time so it’s possible she had such a dish in her repertoire (she’s 81)
com
Description
Delia Ann Smith CH CBE is an English cook and television presenter, known for teaching basic cookery skills in a no-nonsense style. One of the best known celebrity chefs in British popular culture, Smith has influenced viewers to become more culinarily adventurous. Wikipedia
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:03 am

Recipes are passed down from one family to another. They get the inspiration from somewhere, tweak it to make it their own. My Portuguese grandmother used to tell me there is no right or wrong way to make a good recipe, and that each family makes it their own. Here in Redding we have Italian families who own restaurants. They all say, "this was nona's recipe , but we tweaked it with our little enhancements, which has gotten better over the last 50 years!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:49 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote: My Portuguese grandmother used to tell me there is no right or wrong way to make a good recipe, and that each family makes it their own.

I don't disagree with that. I just think 'paella' is a better name for the dish than 'risotto', regardless of where the recipe came from.