Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Green chile "stew"

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

RCP: Green chile "stew"

by wnissen » Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:33 pm

Green Chile Stew

Ingredients
  • 4 Tablespoons olive oil (preferably green/peppery)
  • 1 medium sweet onion, medium chop
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 oz. ground beef or pork (optional)
  • 3 cups roasted, peeled, and seeded Hatch green chile, coarse chop
  • 2 Tablespoons flour
  • 2 cups chicken broth

Let me start by saying that there's not much point in making this recipe with canned Ortega green chiles. They're really front and center (with no herbs or spices to aid them). Heat the oil, onions, and salt over medium heat in a 12" cast iron skillet. Cook for 5 minutes until soft and translucent. (Who do the recipe writers think they are kidding? It takes about 25 minutes to get onions really soft.) Add the garlic, raise the heat to medium high, cook until fragrant, about a minute. Add the meat, break apart until cooked through. Add chiles, heat through. Add the flour, stir frequently until it just starts to brown, add broth. If you're using Better Than Bouillon or concentrated homemade demi-glaçe, you can use less liquid, the chiles only need to cook for a few minutes on their own. Simmer until it gets to be the consistency you like. Can be served immediately but keeps very well.

Adapted from: https://highlandsranchfoodie.com/roaste ... e-sauce-2/
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

Re: RCP: Green chile "stew"

by wnissen » Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:47 pm

This is one of those weird foods that I think everyone (like Jenise) has their own version of. And the uses are equally versatile. You can eat it straight with a spoon, for the chile-heads, use it as a topping for a burger, or a salsa for corn chips. Found in every restaurant in New Mexico, in one form or another.
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: RCP: Green chile "stew"

by Jenise » Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:57 am

Only two ounces of meat? That would end up unlike any version I've ever had. I'd say my version ends up being about half and half meat and chiles.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov