Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Has anyone ever heard of….

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

Has anyone ever heard of….

by John F » Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:23 am

…. The 1980s book by Harold McGee called “On Food and Cooking”? I just came across a reference to it and people are talking about it as an essential cookbook for the ages. I have never heard of it. Seems to be lots of the science behind food and why things behave the way they do… why do egg whites puff up in an oven, why does sweating spices change their flavor etc

Just curious as I’m kind of a cookbook junkie but did not know this one
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Re: Has anyone ever heard of….

by Bill Spohn » Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:06 am

Yes, the guy is the Alton Brown of the printed word. Worth acquiring if you are interested in the chemistry and physics of cooking.
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:32 am

I have that book. It's an interesting read, although some of it requires at last a master's in chemistry or biochemistry to understand. Overall I think it's more of academic interest than practical, although I have found some tips to be helpful (like changing pH for certain effects, effects of different starches on thickening with advice how to incorporate them, etc.). I'm not sure I would call it a "cookbook" per se, but it does certainly contain information pertaining to cooking. It's a classic for a reason, so if you're the self described junkie you say you are, this one is famous enough to perhaps warrant a slot on your shelf.

McGee (1 of 3) resize.jpg

McGee (2 of 3) resize.jpg

McGee (3 of 3) resize.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:53 pm

I have it and refer to it often especially when I am using an unfamiliar ingredient or method or when I am struck by a similarity of aroma or taste when unexpected. It helps to understand shared flavor compounds. I first understood the necessity of salt-starch interaction in boiling pasta reading McGee and this saved countless arguments with my husband!!! Not the only tidbit of information that I used to convince my husband of the wisdom of some culinary activity.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:37 pm

I own it, read it cover to cover 30 years ago but haven't opened it much since. As others have said, it's not a recipe book. It's an important series of essays about how things work, though. I really should re-read it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:15 pm

On this afternoon's episode of Milk Street Radio someone called the program asking for a pointer to a book on the chemistry of cooking, and this was the first one they recommended. They cautioned that it's a tough read and is intended mainly as a reference work.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:52 pm

I own both McGee and Shirley Corrihers. Both good in their own ways.
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:43 pm

I think I got more out of Madeleine Kamman's (original) "The Making of a Cook", personally. She also included much food science in that tome, but with actual illustrative recipes and less dry narratives attached.

(Interestingly, McGee writes in the introduction to his 2004 edition of "On Food & Cooking", reflecting on the 1984 1st edition, "I noted a couple of errors in modern cookbooks by Madeleine Kamman and Julia Child, who were ahead of their time in taking chemistry seriously." However he does not say what those errors were, and I don't have an original 1984 edition of my own to reference.)
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."