Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Hatch Chilis, dried

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Hatch Chilis, dried

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:25 am

I guess I never thought about this, until I ordered a batch of dried Hatch Chilis. Company said they are Anaheim peppers and gave a little history about it. Basically, when the cultivar arrived in CA they were named Anaheim. Anyway, it will be fun to work with them.
Has anyone here used them and have a recipe to share?

https://www.eatlikenoone.com/what-is-th ... eppers.htm
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Hatch Chilis, dried

by Jenise » Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:58 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:I guess I never thought about this, until I ordered a batch of dried Hatch Chilis. Company said they are Anaheim peppers and gave a little history about it. Basically, when the cultivar arrived in CA they were named Anaheim. Anyway, it will be fun to work with them.
Has anyone here used them and have a recipe to share?

https://www.eatlikenoone.com/what-is-th ... eppers.htm

This guy may be right about how green chiles ended up in Anaheim (and getting canned by the Ortega brand), but he's wrong in treating a Hatch chile like it's only one thing. Larry should be the one to address this, but there are a lot of different varieties within the category and they have names--my favorites are medium heats like Big Jim and Sandia. One year the best ones I could find were extra long extra meaty green chiles called something like AR675 (I got to look at the shipping box) that had been grown in Arizona. But the store still called them 'Hatch Chiles'.

I haven't used dried chiles, though once long ago I delighted in some dried/ground green chiles that I bought in Santa Fe--I discovered them from someone selling ears of grilled corn on a street corner. In addition to salt and pepper, there were shakers of red and green chile powders. Green chile powder on corn--to die for.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov