Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Whose inflation is it, anyway?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Whose inflation is it, anyway?

by Jenise » Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:08 pm

I love Matiz brand rices from Spain. Don't know if they're available across the U.S. but I suspect so, both Bomba (similar to a low-talc Japanese short grain) and Paella (similar in size shape to Arborio, but a little less starchy). When I first started buying them, they were around $6 a bag. Fine, happy to pay it. Maybe a year ago I paid $10. Still fine. A month ago? $12.99; let's round that up to $13. I balked.

Yesterday in Vancouver, I dropped into a small independent grocer near Bill's. Same rice: $9.99, which translates to $7.50 out of my wallet when you account for the currency differential. I bought two. Border rules do not allow rice except American or Chinese, but the importer of this rice is not only American but located in Lynwood only 80 miles south of us so I figured I'd be able to plead a case for it being 'American', if asked. I wasn't asked.

How much are Americans being gouged, anyway?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Re: Whose inflation is it, anyway?

by Bill Spohn » Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:26 pm

Nice score - wish we had lower wine prices than you rather than the painfully obvious alternative we suffer through!

Have a rice day! :D
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:36 pm

Bill, I even have a Stongs loyalty card. :)

Yesterday, in addition to the rice, I stocked up on British sausages and bought a gorgeous hunk of ham which I'll turn into a jambon terrine for a Burgundy tasting down here next weekend. Will be interesting to see how that goes over. Several vegans and pescatarians in the group. So rarely ever does anyone bring anything red-meat that I don't know who avoids it as normal practice. Ham + gelatine might just look like Spam to them. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:20 am

Jenise wrote:How much are Americans being gouged, anyway?

A lot. Corporate profits are soaring, all across the board, largely due to a lack of regulation and taxation. Robert Reich has a lot to say on the topic.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:20 pm

Are the Trump-era tariffs on comestibles from the EU a factor here?

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:34 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:Are the Trump-era tariffs on comestibles from the EU a factor here?

-Paul W.

I doubt it. I'm fairly sure this rice would have come into Washington state before being distributed to Canada.