Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Andrea Immer

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Andrea Immer

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:56 pm

Every now and then, I happen upon a show with Andrea Immer, Master Sommelier. I did so today on Finer Living and enjoy her so much. Her down-to-earth, soft manner, and love of wine and food are a joy to behold.
Today she and her husband shared cooking duties, and finished by sharing two wines and comparing them to the dinner of salmon resting on mashed potatoes. Simple but no doubt, fabulous. What is your take on her?
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: Andrea Immer

by Carl Eppig » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:01 pm

Love her. Have just about everything she's ever published, and recommend them hither and yon.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:30 pm

Shameless tout here, Karen. I've read, recommended and given her books to friends; taken an intensive course with her last year; belong to her wine club, and wrote the following "review" after attending one of her seminars at the Boston wine expo in 1991:

It was a joy to watch Andrea Immer in action and to discuss her book for a few minutes afterwards. Her approach to learning about wine is superb, and I recommend this book strongly to anyone, beginner or more advanced. Her enthusiasm and knowledge is infectious, and her approach is sound. I was delighted to learn that Thor Iverson shared my enthusiasm for her approach, and I commend her approach to you all.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

KirbyB

Rank

Cellar rat

Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:53 am

Libertyville, IL

by KirbyB » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:18 pm

I have enjoyed her show on the Food Network HD entitled "Pairings." I really like her down to earth approach, her variety of higher end wines in addition to many more accessible labels, and just her overall demeanor. Whenever I can get pairing ideas, especially from someone with her pedigree, I pounce on it.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:23 pm

The only rap I've ever heard on her was that she never met a wine she didn't like. This is only partially true. On TV it is hard enough to get in a good word on the good ones, without wasting time on the plonk. In her annual "Wine Buying Guides for Everyone" she will mention if a previously reviewed wine has gone down hill, and does include reviews on all the best selling wines from Merry Edwards RRV Pinot right down to the $5 stuff on the bottom shelf. Most but not all of the lower end stuff gets short shrift.