Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Kitchen problem: too many lids

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Kitchen problem: too many lids

by Jenise » Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:46 pm

So if I upgraded to a couple universal lids like this one, would I have the nerve to throw away a bunch of lids?

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Lid-Pots-Pans-Skillets/dp/B08RYFV7H6/ref=pd_lpo_2?pd_rd_i=B08RYFV7H6&th=1

I don't trust myself.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

Re: Kitchen problem: too many lids

by John Treder » Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:39 pm

That looks somewhat like a lid that I have stashed away in the deepest, darkest corner behind the sink.
Thanks for reminding me. Maybe I'll chuck it out. Or maybe not.
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:33 pm

Really, Jenise? Buy lids so that you can get rid of lids. Does this make any sense?
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:39 am

Can I say first that it's always seemed disingenuous to me that cooking sets always count lids when they describe how many pieces are included? I've never purchased a set myself, but I weep for the poor slobs who do. Same with knife sets; not only do they count the block as a piece, but seriously - adding 10 el-cheapo steak knives so you can say it's "a 15 piece set!" when you're actually just getting an 8-inch chef, a 5-inch "utility", a useless stubby 6-inch slicer, and a 3-inch paring knife? May they be trussed, interlarded with rusty larding needles, and spit roasted for all eternity in the afterlife. And served with the wrong wine.

*ahem*

Anyway, I've seen universal lid sets like this before, and I think they're an excellent solution for people who are constantly scattering, tripping over, or just annoyed by, all the individual lids matched to individual pots and pans. Their numbers can really add up! For myself, other than my Le Creusets and one or two pots that have specifically made or unique lids (my wok, steamer baskets, etc.) I use the old restaurant trick of just flipping a duplicate pan upside down over the one on the heat. And for sauce pots, I just place a saute/fry pan with a slightly larger bottom over the top of the pot. Works well, and saves a ton of space. I hate dealing with lids.
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:40 am

I think the universal lid would be great for sauté pans which generally do not come as a set with the lid. I have a small one I make frittatas in, and two larger ones I rarely use but have often wished I had a lid to fit them. I can usually find something that works.
When we remodeled the kitchen I did away with undercounter cabinets. So, all pull out drawers have a specific purpose and under the cooktop are deep, large drawers and I am blessed to be able to store all pans and most pots with their lid on top.
I'd keep your lids for a few months and see how you like the universal lid. I am guessing you will want to keep your tight fitting lids\ Don't toss them out however, a lot of my lids are glass and they can get broken. I bet a thrift store would take them so folks looking for lids could purchase them. Even metal ones, someone can use.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:53 am

I am swimming in lids. I could, like, devote a whole drawer to them. And my pots and pans are a miscellany of All Clad, Calphalon and whatever cheap teflon skillet I bought last time I replaced my cheap teflon skillets at TJ Maxx. But in fact most of my lids will fit multiple pans regardless of make, and I keep five lids in a stand next to the stove which work on 99% of my faves and I would almost never need two of the same size in the same meal--that right there is where I could streamline my collection. Like Tom, I often use skillets to make temporary lids ('temporary' meaning short-term uses, not braising).
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:02 pm

I see these 'universal' lids come in eight sizes :lol:
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:34 pm

Peter May wrote:I see these 'universal' lids come in eight sizes :lol:

Bravo!
no avatar
User

DanS

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:10 pm

by DanS » Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:32 pm

Jenise wrote:I am swimming in lids. I could, like, devote a whole drawer to them.

I have this problem too. What makes it worse is that I can rarely find the right lid for the port I'm using. How does that happen?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:32 pm

Peter May wrote:I see these 'universal' lids come in eight sizes :lol:

Most of which are overlapping other sizes so it's not like you need to buy eight lids. Good grief.