Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Another new show about Italy

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Another new show about Italy

by Jenise » Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:20 pm

From Eater.com:

At this moment, there’s no country that’s captured our cultural imagination more than Italy. If it seems like everyone you know is traveling to Sicily or Portofino, it’s because they are. Whether it’s because they’re obsessed with the country’s gorgeous architecture or desperate to eat the perfect plate of pasta, there’s no denying Italy’s romantic allure. For author and actress Tembi Locke, though, her obsession with Italy — and Italian food — started years ago when she moved to the country and literally bumped into Saro, a chef whom she’d ultimately marry, while eating gelato on the street.

After falling in love in Florence, Tembi and Saro’s relationship was tragically cut short when Saro was diagnosed with terminal cancer, and her journey through the grieving process inspired From Scratch, Locke’s critically acclaimed 2019 memoir that was adapted into a Netflix limited series by Reese Witherspoon’s Hello Sunshine, set to premiere on October 21. On the screen, Saro and Tembi are fictionalized into different characters, aspiring artist Amy (played by Zoe Saldana) and Sicilian chef Lino (Eugenio Mastrandrea), but their story plays out similarly. After a passionate courtship that, of course, frequently revolves around getting hot and heavy in the kitchen, the couple is happily married and looking to adopt when tragedy strikes.

Across eight episodes, From Scratch is the kind of romance that will make you cry, laugh, and want to eat a giant plate of pasta at the same time. Ahead of the premiere of From Scratch, Eater sat down to talk with Locke about her experiences in Italy, what makes chefs sexy, and the common ground found in polenta and grits.

Sounds right up my alley.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Another new show about Italy

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:07 pm

Sounds like my kind of movie, as well. I have a huge issue with Netflix movies in that the overuse of the F-word is very annoying, it is sickening. So are the sex scenes, nothing left to the imagination are way too many. I watch movies to be entertained, and watching a couple going at it is NOT entertainment. Just finished with The Sinner and enjoyed that. Bill Pullman as Det. Harry Ambrose was amazing and his facial expressions and eye control was stellar. One knew exactly what he was thinking.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Re: Another new show about Italy

by Bill Spohn » Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:30 pm

I watched all 8 episodes and was quite enthusiastic after the first couple or three, but it seemed to turn into formulaic sob story toward the latter episodes, a la Love Story..