Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Stupid things you've seen in restaurants

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Stupid things you've seen in restaurants

by Jenise » Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:53 pm

A few years ago we went to a steakhouse in this area that was considered fairly high end--it's not Per Se but at least it's white tablecloth service which is relatively rare up here, and the food comes out under cloches.

Our waitress was apparently fairly new. Like, this was most likely her first night AND her first night ever as a restaurant server. Our clue? She opened our bottle of wine and deposited the entire contents in two glasses as we sat open-mouthed in disbelief.

I told this story on Friday night to people who had just had a very poor experience at the same restaurant. We haven't been back.

Okay, your turn!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

Re: Stupid things you've seen in restaurants

by Barb Downunder » Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:06 am

I’m still thinking. That is pretty y hard to top,! Tey ust have been large glasses or very, very full :cry:
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:12 pm

Had that exact thing happen here - only there were six of us and they ran out after 4. I called the owner over and told him to remove our glasses, bring new ones and send over a waiter that knew how to pour with a new bottle or we were leaving without paying anything (our orders were already in the kitchen).

I'm still not sure if the waiter was just stupid or smart like a fox and trying to get us to shell out for an extra bottle of wine.

Jenise, were there just two of you or were there more? If just two then ignorance; if more then a 'sell more wine' scam possibly.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:18 pm

Barb Downunder wrote:I’m still thinking. That is pretty y hard to top,! Tey ust have been large glasses or very, very full :cry:

Both! Imagine 12 ounce pours.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:19 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:
Jenise, were there just two of you or were there more?

Just two of us. Clearly ignorance and zero experience with wine or fine dining of any kind.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:01 am

Small beer but…
I wouldn’t recommend topping up my b-I-l’s beer with water! He doesn’t take kindly to it.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:17 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:I'm still not sure if the waiter was just stupid or smart like a fox and trying to get us to shell out for an extra bottle of wine.

Yes, I suspect I've seen this several times. After the first rushed pour, I stop the waitron and tell him that I will control the bottle from hereon.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:39 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:
Bill Spohn wrote:I'm still not sure if the waiter was just stupid or smart like a fox and trying to get us to shell out for an extra bottle of wine.

Yes, I suspect I've seen this several times. After the first rushed pour, I stop the waitron and tell him that I will control the bottle from hereon.

Unless I was dining at a restaurant that knew me, I always told the waiter to uncork the bottle and put it on the table and that we would pour our own - that way you could avoid such silliness plus you could favour the non-drivers with a larger pour than those who needed to be ready to drive home. Several times I had to say "Waiter - what did I tell you to do and why have you picked up the bottle I told you to leave alone?" Many of them seemed to operate on autopilot. Only one simply seemed to ignore me and I told that one that his next blunder would eliminate any chance of getting a tip. Of course he tried to pour again.....