Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Things to do with Jerusalem artichokes?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Things to do with Jerusalem artichokes?

by Jenise » Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:24 pm

I typically buy 3 or 4 at a time and oven roast them.

But a neighbor just brought me a 5-6 lb bag of them that were just dug up from their yard. She had a crazy amount (the spot they'd been planted in had to be removed); she kept half and gave me the other half.

Now I need ideas. I've never had a bounty like this to consider options other than roasting. A pizza's definitely on my list. Anyone have any favorites?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Re: Things to do with Jerusalem artichokes?

by Jenise » Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:32 pm

Just found this hilarious side note: "If you don’t know how your stomach (*ahem*) reacts to inulin, the carbohydrate present in Jerusalem artichokes, peel and cook before eating, which often helps alleviate the symptoms that gave these root veggies the nickname 'fartichokes'.

Another thing that never having a lot of these at once deprived me of finding out.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:45 am

I've only done them a couple of times so far from a pro, but this recipe looks easy to try:

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/crisp ... d-balsamic
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:30 pm

Well, I was going to answer 'things to do with Jerusalem Artichokes' with throw them away!

I have been making the Jamie Oliver recipe for Jool's Favourite Beef Stew for some years. One of its ingredients is Jerusalem Artichokes but I never saw them in the shops, so a couple of years ago I bought some plants from a nursery and planted them. Come autumn I dug up a tuber and at last I could include them in the recipe.

Ouch, I got terrible stomach pain; I was in severe discomfort for a hours. Mrs M was fine and suggested I warm up the remainder of the stew the following evening and remove them from my serving.

But when I looked at the pan, my stomach lurched and I could not face it and binned the lot.

Next day I dug up all the tubers and put them in the recycling bin.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:33 pm

So, Peter, you got the advanced version of Fartichokes?

That would be uncomfortable, but they have no effect on me. Yesterday I made a pizza: layered up with pesto, cheese, and thinly sliced artichokes then topped each piece (I cut in squares from a rectangle) with a slice of fresh tomato lightly marinated in salt, vinegar and oil. WONDERFUL.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:39 am

The plants are interesting. They grow very tall and have flowers that resemble miniature sunflowers. The local garden club says that they are one of those plants such as mint or zucchini that can take over a garden if you're not careful.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:19 am

They're very attractive, but tall. I had to support them so they weren't blown down. I was warned that they spread and are difficult to remove because you have to find and remove every tuber or part of tuber. However I succeeded
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:37 am

Wasn’t aware of the GI issues and have never been affected. They last forever in the fridge and I use them in many ways. Added raw, shaved to a salad just before serving ( discolor quickly otherwise). In a savory open faced tart - cooked with pancetta, guanciale or bacon and allium (leek, shallot, onion) thyme. Mixed with a tasty mix of melting cheese then baked. In a hurry I use Dufour puff pastry for the crust. Added to beef stew. As a side veg cooked with guanciale, green olives, onions.
Very versatile for seasoning - accepts thyme, rosemary, savory, oregano.
Salads now with fuyu persimmon, pomegranate arils and some pomegranate molasses in the dressing…..all now in local markets.
I use sunchokes a lot when my friend has excess - which is always as they are invasive
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:44 pm

Love them raw in salads, have done that twice so far. They pair extremely well with watercress and sliced mushrooms. Also loved them this week with shaved Nappa cabbage. Love the open faced tart idea. I saw a recipe for a gratin, with truffles, that I'd love to try. Do they puree well in a soup? I would think so.