Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Lettuce entertain you.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

Lettuce entertain you.

by Tom NJ » Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:18 am

6 dollars a head by me. That's entertaining, isn't it? And by "entertaining", I mean it makes me entertain the notion of starting the Atkin's Diet so I don't have to pay that. Or maybe just buy cello packs of baby spinach instead, which I never thought would be cheaper than iceberg. (My retro 50's party is gonna have to do without the wedge covered in blue cheese dressing!! Oh well, at least I can still whip up my grandma's "7-Up and Cucumber Lime-Jello Salad" for a reasonable cost...)

How's the price by you?
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Lettuce entertain you.

by Jenise » Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:34 am

I paid $4 a head for green leaf a week ago, which I needed several enough to stuff Vietnamese-ish spring rolls and they were pretty light heads. That was a day or two after a friend in California who is a restaurant supplier complained that for the first time in his career, lettuce was over $100 a case.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:47 pm

I bought a very large, heavy head of lettuce for $3.79 last week at our local Raley's. I love having a wedge of lettuce with blue cheese over the top for lunch, now and then. A drizzle of lemon olive oil and a sprinkle of Tarragon vinegar and I am in heaven!
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:11 pm

We like romaine here. Can't get it, regular or organic, heads or loose or hearts. I saw some red romaine, which I don't understand.

We're filling in with Boston, I think.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:52 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:We like romaine here. Can't get it, regular or organic, heads or loose or hearts. I saw some red romaine, which I don't understand.

We're filling in with Boston, I think.

Red romaine, like red oak, are too soft for me. I only use them in mixtures where something crisper is in the majority. I am loving radicchios these days. The castelfranco Dale loves is one of our favorites, too.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:33 pm

$2.79 for a nice, full but short head of romaine yesterday at Whole Foods, a market I rarely shop at here because the produce is so unexciting. By short, I refer to the fact that sometimes romaine heads are really tall, and when that's the case they're overgrown and tend to have no flavor. Short, fat heads are stronger and better.