Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Haut Sauterne

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Haut Sauterne

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:16 am

What can I use in a rice dish, similar to risotto, but no long stirring, which has yellow onion, white mushrooms, wine, seasonings, and chicken stock in place of the Haut Sauterne? Not easily found around here and I never seem to get into the Liquor Barn.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Re: Haut Sauterne

by Peter May » Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:46 pm

Sauternes is a very sweet wine made in the Bordeaux region, but I have not heard of Haut Sauternes and I don't believe there is any such thing.

Google shows this

HAUT SAUTERNE
A sweet wine with a fresh, fruity aroma and a pleasing finish. Made with a blend of Catawba, Niagara, and Delaware grapes. This wine is delicious with seafood, poultry, or by itself. Serve chilled.

https://meierswinecellars.com/wines/haut-sauterne/

So I reckon any cheap sweet wine would be an adequate substitute in cooking.

But don't use Sauternes - too good, too rare and too expensive to do other than sip after dinner
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:47 am

My mom actually wrote on her recipe Haute Sauterne. It was all she used for the rice dish. I used it too, after I was married for a long time, then it seemed to disappear. Like you, I found it at Meier's site, but did not order it. After I took out her recipe from my stash, I see that I started using vermouth to replace the Sauterne. Have not made this dish in a long time, realized this when one of the boys asked me for it, so his wife could make it. Thanks for the info., Peter.
Last edited by Karen/NoCA on Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:33 pm

No Vodka, no real Sauternes, Karen. I would suggest a good riesling.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:02 pm

Jenise wrote:No Vodka, no real Sauternes, Karen. I would suggest a good riesling.

Sorry, that was a typo, NO vodka, used Vermouth, and it was great.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:29 pm

Whew! The Vodka scared me. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov