Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Anthony Bourdain at the French Laundry

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Anthony Bourdain at the French Laundry

by Jenise » Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:42 pm

From season 1 of his first TV series, A Cook's Tour. The higher pitch of his voice, which got more gravelly as the years and cigarettes piled up, threw me off at first, but the topic pulls back on track as he dines with Michael Ruhlman (probably the best looking man in the world of food-writing), Eric Ripert, and another NY Chef I'm not familiar with at the iconic French Laundry. I've seen this before, but I'm so glad to see it again. Made me aware of how many things that are normal today, like fancy salts and putting salt on chocolate, were ground-breaking back then.

And then of course, there's Anthony's brilliant prose to enjoy--like comparing the luxury level of that meal to riding around in a Rolls Royce naked but for mink underwear.

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYjZpfr6JQ4
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Anthony Bourdain at the French Laundry

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:40 am

Interesting fellow, that Anthony...marches to his own drummer for sure. Used to watch him a lot. Thanks for the link....will watch.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:56 pm

thanks for posting, so fun.
The 4th diner is Scott Bryan, at that time chef at Veritas, the most vinocentric restaurant in NYC (it was co-owned by Park Smith, who made available most of his huge cellar to the restaurant). He later owned Apiary , a jewel that was maybe my fave place in NYC for a while. Later he was at Milling Room - great food but I didn't love huge space. Unsure where he is now.
Bourdain was one of a kind.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:13 pm

Dale, thanks. I just tried to find out more about Scott Bryan, but not much luck. The trail goes cold in 2014 with this from the NYT:

Another piece of late-breaking news from Flo Fab today: Chef Scott Bryan has left his position as chef at the four month old Bacchanal. It turns out that he's the big chef rumored to be signing on as chef and partner at Corvo Bianco, which has been closed since the end of July. He'll be the third chef to work at the year-old Upper West Side Italian restaurant, following Elizabeth Falkner (who quickly departed) and Chris Wyman, who did not survive the current revamp. Corvo Bianco will reportedly reopen in a few weeks. No word on who will replace Bryan at Bacchanal.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:23 pm

He went from Bacchanal to the Milling Room, as Dale said. But he left there in 2018 and the trail is stone cold after that.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:24 pm

Jenise wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYjZpfr6JQ4

Great video. And, for me, a nice reminder of my visit to French Laundry, too.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:13 am

Thanks Jenise, fascinating viewing. I’ve heard a bit about the French Laundry over the years interesting to see it in action. Bourdain looking like a teenager!!
Jeff I assume your experience there was remarkable? Any one else been there?
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:29 am

Barb Downunder wrote:Thanks Jenise, fascinating viewing. I’ve heard a bit about the French Laundry over the years interesting to see it in action. Bourdain looking like a teenager!!
Jeff I assume your experience there was remarkable? Any one else been there?

We went to FL during my second year as a PhD student at Berkeley, 2002. It was pretty straightforward. Yes it was special occasion, but you could call early AM 30 days before you wanted a reservation and get a table without too much wrangling. Then take a nice day trip up to Napa. Who would argue with that! Excellent meal and experience, but I hear it climbed into greater heights of exclusivity (and annoyance) in later years. (Chez Panisse on the other hand, always retained its local charms)
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:54 am

I had dinner at the French Laundry ca. 2000. Food, service, and setting all superb. I've eaten at several Michelin-starred restaurants in France, including a couple of 3-stars. Based on that experience if would have given the French Laundry at least two stars if I were a Michelin inspector.

Keller's Bouchon Bistro is also excellent, although much less formal, of course.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:30 pm

I was there in Summer 2003. We ate in the private room because (a) we were 8 people and (b) it was easier to reserve than the main dining room!

And, yes, it was spectacular. Even now, having been to additional spectacular places and Michelin 3-stars, that dinner stands up.

It was not perfect, in a couple of ways, but not enough shade to change my final opinion.

My friend wrote it up at the time; I can repost if you'd like to read?
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:52 am

Jeff Grossman wrote:I was there in Summer
My friend wrote it up at the time; I can repost if you'd like to read?

Thanks Jeff I would to have a read, it is good to see the evolution of dining, particularly at the high end.
As noted above things we now take for granted were once cutting edge (remember driving miles for mesclun, Japanese stuff, etc)

We had the Pleasure of lunching at Chez Panisse in 1996, a memorable experience and the only “named “ restaurant we got near. is it still going in that charming old building?
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:49 am

Barb Downunder wrote:
We had the Pleasure of lunching at Chez Panisse in 1996, a memorable experience and the only “named “ restaurant we got near. is it still going in that charming old building?

Still there. Although I haven't been in years. No idea how it's doing.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:17 pm

As Rahsaan said, still there. Probably haven't dined there myself since around 2005.

But time seems to have caught up with it. Alice's pioneering way with local farm produce is now copied widely, and the Me-Too world we're in these days would not celebrate let alone revere the scandalously sexy hunks like Jeremiah Towers who helped build its reputation.