Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Cereal Lover's Delight

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Cereal Lover's Delight

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:23 pm

I never understood cereal, as a kid I thought it tasted like dog food. My kids had their faves, so did my husband. My hubby was a huge cereal eater. One day when I was in the heath food isle of our local grocer, I discovered this: https://www.naturespath.com/en-us/produ ... ge-flakes/
I liked that it came from Eugene, OR, also the ingredients were interesting. After eating my first bowl of this super crunchy cereal, I was in love. I am not a milk drinker so I wondered what I could put on it to make it super special. A trip to the grocers I found this:
https://www.safeway.com/shop/product-de ... lsrc=aw.ds

I liked that it too, was a natural product, and only 35 calories per TBSP. I do not drown my cereal but just add enough to moisten it. Add a sliced up banana, or a few berries you love and enjoy. A match made in heaven!
By the way, this cereal does not get soggy in liquid. It stays very crunchy to the end! Love that...
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Cereal Lover's Delight

by Jenise » Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:45 pm

I can appreciate that. I love the taste of some of the barely-sweet cereals. Am happy to have a baggie of them to eat by the handfuls with coffee in the morning, especially from brands like Nature's Path. Great snack, but that's as far as I can go since I don't do milk or yoghurt.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:17 pm

You're killing me. I love cereal (e.g., bran flakes, shredded wheat, oatmeal, cheerios, etc.), but they're loaded with carbs. I wish we were designed to eat carbs with abandon. :cry:
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:39 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:I never understood cereal, as a kid I thought it tasted like dog food.

Aw, heck, you weren't eating the right stuff... Rice Krispies was my thing but I could find a way to chow down on anything that was mostly sugar. :lol:

Though, speaking about cereal flavors: I recently had a caffe latte made with oat milk. Tasted just like a granola bar. Very strange, but better than almond milk, which tastes kinda like cardboard (if it tastes of anything at all).
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:42 pm

I always liked the name of Calvin's favorite cereal from Calvin and Hobbes: Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs. As a kid I was a Rice Krispies fan. I never cared for corn flakes or for any of the sugar-coated stuff.

I refused to eat Wheaties. Each summer our family used to rent a cottage in a seaside development in Lyme, CT. The land had at one point belonged to a single family and their family graveyard was nestled in among the cottages. As a 4-year-old I was fascinated by all the gravestones and that most of the people buried there had a single surname--Champion. My mother bought Wheaties once but I refused to eat it. When she asked why, I replied that Wheaties was the Breakfast of Champions, and look where they all ended up.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:43 pm

Re: carbs, I do not eat cereal everyday, usually I have fresh fruit that is in season. Cereal is what I eat when I want it to be quick and ready. Even then, I usually only have 1/2 cup. It is filling, with some fruit included.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:39 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:My mother bought Wheaties once but I refused to eat it. When she asked why, I replied that Wheaties was the Breakfast of Champions, and look where they all ended up.

Great story. (Smart-aleck 4-year-olds!)
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:24 pm

Kid-food always seemed to be packed with carbs (usually sugar) - not sure of they have a natural attraction to it or whether just feeding them massive amounts creates the affinity.

Not a carb fan myself but when a child, with Scots on both sides of the ancestral tree, oatmeal was the breakfast cereal of choice. Oddly, I wasn't keen on dumping tablespoons full of brown sugar on it but I do recall that you could increase the flavour intensity considerably with the judicious addition of a bit of salt.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:34 pm

I love that snack mixture some people make around the holidays (never made it myself). I'll pick the Wheaties out first.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:17 pm

That would be the "party mix" promoted by the General Mills for Wheat Chex, their trademarked version of shredded wheat. There used to be a recipe for it on the box, just as the Ritz cracker box used to have a "mock apple pie" recipe featuring Ritz crackers. Chex party mix is pretty tasty.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:53 pm

Yes, love Chex mix.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:57 am

Bill Spohn wrote:Not a carb fan myself but when a child, with Scots on both sides of the ancestral tree, oatmeal was the breakfast cereal of choice. Oddly, I wasn't keen on dumping tablespoons full of brown sugar on it but I do recall that you could increase the flavour intensity considerably with the judicious addition of a bit of salt.

I always add a little salt when I cook oatmeal.

I used to eat bran flakes (or Wheaties) and throw in some raisins to make my own raisin bran, which was crispier than commercial Raisin Bran. I figured the moisture in the raisins made Raisin Bran kind of soggy.