Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Where has all the mustard gone?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Where has all the mustard gone?

by Jenise » Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:52 pm

My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Re: Where has all the mustard gone?

by Christina Georgina » Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:05 pm

Thanks for this link Jenise. I always have a variety of mustards in the fridge and love to make my own pickled mustard seeds. A very clear exposition there.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:16 pm

A local Chinese restaurant has stopped putting mustard containers in their takeout bags unless the customer explicitly asks for them. The owner told me he's having difficulty getting powdered mustard.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:55 am

I've been keeping an eye on the supply at our neighborhood grocer. They are loaded with mustard choices, and while I do not use a lot of mustard anymore, I do want it when I need it. I like to keep in my pantry Sierra Nevada Spicy Brown Mustard and their coarse offering as well. Plus, I watch a neighbors house about 50% of the year while they vacation over in the Humboldt Co house on the ocean. Twice a year I get a lovely thank you basket filled with Humboldt Co. products, one of which is mustards made by a restaurant on the coastal town of Trinidad. I have not heard any complaints from locals about a mustard shortage. Are any of you having a shortage?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:22 pm

My friends in Europe completely ran out last year and I'm not sure that any has re-appeared as yet. As explained in this article, there's a shortage of seeds.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:16 pm

From what I have read it is Dijon which there is a shortage of. I did not know that Canada grew 80% of the worlds mustard seeds for that mustard. Easy to order on Amazon, so your friends can still get some.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:47 pm

Looked yesterday in my local supermarket. Plenty of dijon mustard to be had, price is up a bit, though (8 oz jar of Maille for $6.69, slightly less for Grey Poupon).
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:54 am

Maille mustard is one of the great bargains for an American shopping in Canada. The price of an 8 ounce jar here is more than the price of a 16 ounce jar up there.

I haven't had any problems here (but I probably haven't needed to restock in some time). It's my friends in France who, last summer, couldn't find mustard on their local shelves.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:11 pm

I saw that Amazon has their own brand of Dijon, selling ridiculously cheap. Reviews are great, called Happy Belly. For the price it would be worth buying just for fun.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:39 pm

Happy belly? Now that's kind of funny. Don't know that I could switch from Maile though. It was love at first taste for me--smoother and milder than Poupon which was probably all I'd ever had at the time. Never looked back.