Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Butter Russets

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Butter Russets

by Jenise » Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:43 pm

Found them at Trader Joe's today. Will discover whether or not they actually have a better flavor, but you can't put those two words without snagging my attention!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Butter Russets

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:01 pm

Are you talking about Trader Joe's Hasselback Potatoes?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:19 pm

No, a 3 lb bag of raw potatoes called 'Butter Russets'.

Like I said, no idea. HOWEVER, when I lived in Saudi Arabia, we would get these AMAZING Egypt-grown potatoes. Russet-looking and textured, but much darker skin, almost black, and the most buttery interiors. Best potatoes I've had in my entire life. If these come anywhere close, I'll be a lifer.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:54 am

Oh My, that sounds great, must get there to see if our store has them. I love potatoes!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:41 pm

Call off the hunt! I cooked some of those potatoes last night--nothing special.

Poo.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:22 pm

From what I read, those come in two colors, a red and a yellow. Did you get the darker version? So far, I have not been able to locate them around here, but just checked the bigger stores. Many small grocers who carry unusual things but do not have websites to see products.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:54 pm

It's likely that "Butter Russets" is a Trader Joe's trademark and not something you'd find anywhere else. They looked and tasted just like any russet should. Certainly nothing like those black Egyptians all those years ago.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:54 pm

It appears to be a recent cultivar: https://www.mountainking.com/butter-russets/
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:21 pm

Well, look what you found! Interesting. Site's kind of amateurish, though. It's a little puzzling that after all those taste tests, the accolade they chose to highlight was "We have never EVER tasted such great potatoes, went back to get more and there were none there. So disappointed. These potatoes are the best and wish we could get more. Where can we purchase more, please, please?" Enthusiasm aside, it's quite mundane especially when the website's pitch is to professionals. Like saying, "This wine's great!" Tells you nothing.