Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Cooking To-marrow

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Cooking To-marrow

by Bill Spohn » Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:00 pm

Picked up some bone marrow spoons recently, and am now looking for any interesting old bone marrow recipes. Checked the still useful Jane Grigson books but nothing there.

Recipes tend to be simple - roast the bones whether cut crosswise or canoe style, quickly and season with salt, pepper, olive oil and such. https://www.craftbeering.com/roasted-bo ... ow-recipe/

Thought I'd ask if anyone had any old recipes up their sleeves. It used to be a common course in multi course dinners in Victorian and Edwardian times but has become rarer today.

marrow-bones.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Cooking To-marrow

by Jenise » Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:44 pm

I've never done them flat like that, only the whole bone in about 3" lengths. I copied something we had in a restaurant that I loved, one bone set in a pool of saffron risotto. Have very little other experience with them.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:37 am

Interesting question Bill.
Escoffier has a Bone marrow sauce (sauce Moelle). A sauce bordelaise finished with diced marrow and parsley.

Mrs Beeton saws them in lengths,,seals the ends with flour and water paste ties in cloth and boils for 2 hours. Remove cloth and paste send to table with napkins pinned around and a dish of of hot toast.

Larousse has a small but interesting collection of treatments incl canapés, garnishes. If you don’t have access I could copy them for you.

In The Classic cookery of Baron Brisse there s a recipe titled Beef marrow a la Orly which is beef marrow pieces 4 x 2 inches soaked in cold water,drained then dipped in hot meat glaze and allowed to get cold, then dipped in batter and deep fried. Hand tomato sauce separately.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:18 pm

That breaded deep fried marrow sounds really interesting!

I have a lot of French cookbooks and will have to sit down and research the question extensively before deciding what to include in a dinner this year (assuming that we are going to have dinners (saw the new Covid strain (Kraken) reported. Crossing fingers that will be dealt with!)

Luckily I have two Persian butchers that will do custom stuff for me (I get all my oxtails and am thinking of one day doing a saddle of lamb, a cut that we almost never see here - they'd do it for me.) I get decent sized lamb shanks from them, not the little ones we often see which look rather like slightly oversized cocktail pupus.

My only issue with classic French cuisine is that the elaborate recipes sometimes take days to create and without a corps of sous chefs that isn't really my thing. Finding good recipes and then streamlining is fun though.

Thanks for the response!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:02 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:That breaded deep fried marrow sounds really interesting!

You could try that in your new air fryer. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:56 pm

Often have marrow bones at dinner parties. I generally try to buy them in 4"-6" pieces, freeze, and then give to Basset Hound as a popsicle so we have peace at least through appetizers and maybe first course. :)

For human consumption, I prefer 2" cross sections to the long cuts, but will happily eat both. Local pizza place sometimes has bone marrow and vincotto pizza.

(edited for correct version of peace!)
Last edited by Dale Williams on Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:53 pm

Jenise wrote:
Bill Spohn wrote:That breaded deep fried marrow sounds really interesting!

You could try that in your new air fryer. :)

Right - don't see that happening - looked at our storage possibilities...... :(
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:46 pm

And you have a convection setting on your oven, I'm sure. That's all an air fryer is, a portable stand-alone convection oven.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:31 pm

Jenise wrote:And you have a convection setting on your oven, I'm sure. That's all an air fryer is, a portable stand-alone convection oven.

We do, and I think that you are right - that should cook similarly.