Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

The Atlantic weighs in on the closing of Noma

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

The Atlantic weighs in on the closing of Noma

by Jenise » Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:24 pm

“Even if you haven’t eaten at Noma, you’ve eaten at Noma. Or at least at someplace trying to be a mini-version of the influential Copenhagen restaurant, where tweezer-wielding worker bees obsess over each microgreen so that every morsel of food looks and tastes transcendent,” Rob Anderson writes. ⁠

The chef, René Redzepi, announced recently that at the end of next year, Noma will close its doors to guests and transform into “Noma 3.0.” “As a burned-out chef slogging through the challenges of running a restaurant myself, I’m shocked only that Noma—along with many other ultra-high-end restaurants built on the same foundation—has been running for so long,” Anderson writes. The Financial Times has reported that, in its last year of operations before the pandemic, the restaurant typically had 34 paid cooks—and about 30 unpaid interns. Only in October, after nearly two decades in business, did Noma start paying the people who painstakingly prep and stage its food for presentation to customers. “But ever since Noma started racking up Michelin stars and topping world’s-best lists, the rest of the food world has looked to it as the embodiment of what a perfect, modern fine-dining establishment should be … For better and for worse, Noma’s popularity has forced all chefs to grapple with the New Nordic Manifesto on their menus, whether they were serving 15-course tasting menus in cosmopolitan cities or, like me, serving casual fare along the beach in a vacation town,” Anderson continues. ⁠

“The truth is that the kind of high-end dining Noma exemplifies is abusive, disingenuous, and unethical. Chefs know it but continue to imitate Redzepi. The food media know it but continue to celebrate his kind of food,” Anderson continues at the link in our bio. “Wealthy diners know it but continue to book tables en masse—if not at Noma, then at comparable destination restaurants around the world.”

Of course, couldn't help but compare recent discussions here about The Willows Inn and Stone Barn. The Willows being, basically, forced out of business because you can't do here what Redzepi gets away with in Denmark. I know Redzepi now condemns his own practices, hence the closing.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: The Atlantic weighs in on the closing of Noma

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:20 pm

Of course there was an entire Netflix series glorifying such places.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: The Atlantic weighs in on the closing of Noma

by Jenise » Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:07 pm

Indeed. Btw, Ralph Fiennes who currently stars in the dark comedy-thriller hit The Menu, said he binged the whole series you refer to in order to nail down his character.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov