Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Parking lots

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Parking lots

by Larry Greenly » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:02 am

Another thread prompted this idea: tell us about your area's worst parking lots. Albuquerque's filled with them. I remember once parking at a Walgreen's where it was tight, but not too bad to pull into a slot, but when I tried to back out, I really needed a hinge in the middle of my truck. I had a helluva time and took a good 5 minutes just to extricate myself.

The same store had parking spaces bordering the entry and exit lanes. If you swooped into the parking lot when someone was backing out of a space, you had to wait.

I was fueling myself at Wendy's the other day and, after finishing, headed to my truck. Someone had parked an almost identical truck about 8 inches away from my driver's side.

I went back into Wendy's and loudly asked, "Who has a gold Ford Ranger? I can't get into my truck." After some hesitation, a woman admitted it was hers and moved it. Sheesh, some people.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Re: Parking lots

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:27 am

Oh, that's easy: 99Ranch in El Cerrito. The lot is filled with tiny Chinese ladies driving very large cars (generally Mercedes) where they can barely see over the dash. Or maybe they can't. It's like playing Bumper Cars at the carnival. Frightening, but at the same time fascinating: the motion of all the cars seems to be random and unpredictable, so further study here might give some insights into Chaos Theory. I've contacted the researchers at nearby Berkeley.

There's a wonderful LA joke about Monterey Park, but I can't post it in public. And if you're not from LA, you won't understand it.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:39 am

Parking lot? What's a parking lot? Is it anyway related to a traffic jam? Haven't seen any of those lately either.
no avatar
User

Ryan D

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:07 pm

Ringwood, NJ

by Ryan D » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:46 am

The Palisades Mall in West Nyack, NY can be hell.
I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret.
- Basil Fawlty
Check out my -->blog<--.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:32 am

Any New Jersey parking lot is fair game.

In this state, if a driver can see you, by definition you can see them, and therefore they have the right of way.

I'm not sure it's the law, but it is certainly the culture.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:26 pm

A new shopping area on Hilltop Dr. (very congested steet) in Redding. Pizza parlor is open, not sure what else (I'm staying away) not even finished yet, and already paper is filled with stories about pizza parlor having to limit birthday parties to 1 1/2 hours, moms with kids having to cross busy street, dodge cars because of lack of parking. Across the street is a Mexican restaurant with an upscale kitchen shop next door. They literally had guards questioning folks as to where they were going to shop and heaven forbid if you took 1/2 of the other's parking space. It is called GREED! Parking spaces don't bring in money, retail does. Our little town of less than 100,000 in rural No. CA is getting too big city for most of us.
No attention is given to who is renting/leasing near who. The mentally is to just get the space filled. A huge new builing is going up next to a lovely restaurant near us. Nice quiet place, excellent service, great parking, very adult. I found out the new building is a skate board shop!
no avatar
User

Eric Ifune

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:51 pm

Las Vegas, NV and elsewhere

by Eric Ifune » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:33 pm

Oh, that's easy: 99Ranch in El Cerrito. The lot is filled with tiny Chinese ladies driving very large cars (generally Mercedes) where they can barely see over the dash. Or maybe they can't. It's like playing Bumper Cars at the carnival. Frightening, but at the same time fascinating: the motion of all the cars seems to be random and unpredictable, so further study here might give some insights into Chaos Theory. I've contacted the researchers at nearby Berkeley.

The 99 Ranch in Las Vegas is in a decent if overwrought asian shopping center. Small spots but large parking lot. No problems parking. I guess land prices are much better in Vegas. By the way if you ever get to Las Vegas, it's a great place to visit. One of the better oriental markets I've been to in the States. They even have fresh Durian in season.
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:44 am

Bad parking lot?

Try getting your car in and/or out of a Starbucks.

Yike! :shock:
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:52 am

Our local contribution to bad parking lots is Arden Fair Mall. Particularly around Christmas. It's a black hole of a lot - once your car gets in, it's extremely difficult to escape. Furthermore, there are too few spaces and the two multi-level garages are at the back of the place. It can take twenty minutes just to get to them and another half hour to discover there are no spaces in them. I rarely go there, but when I do I usually park a quarter of a mile away and walk in. No matter how bad the weather is.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:59 pm

Wendy's???

This is going to come back to haunt you, Larry!
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:49 am

Bernard Roth wrote:Wendy's???

This is going to come back to haunt you, Larry!

Piffle. I live for danger.

Wendy's is far superior to McD's or BK. Their salads are great, their chili is great and their burgers ain't bad (I like the green chile cheeseburger). On top of that, they give free senior drinks (I always ask for a "geezer" drink), so my lunches there are usually about $2. Cheap and good fuel that's quick.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:11 am

They even have fresh Durian in season.

If you're ever down around Fremont, the Lion market on Mission Boulevard (right between 680 and 880) also carries it. If you haven't been there, it's a terrific store. Parking lot is still far too small for the size and quantity of cars...
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:16 pm

WENDY'S chicken breast sandwiches are tops with mayo and lettuce.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:36 pm

Any lot where my sedan is wedged between a Hummer and a Mountaineer, with an oversized van squeezed into a compact car space directly behind me!!!!!
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Mike Conner

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:35 am

Knoxville, TN

by Mike Conner » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:39 am

Always seems the home improvement store parking lots are the worst. Never enough width or depth to the actual parking space (since most shoppers are not driving their Toyota Yaris sub-sub-compact). Add to that the occasional shopper who has stuff sticking out at an unusual angle of their SUV or pick-em-up, it just leaves little room for the rest of us (I am a mid-sized SUV owner). Oh - and if only people would do their best to fit their vehicle in the CENTER of the two white lines (I guess that is valid anywhere in the world) the world might be a nicer place to shop.

But, I also agree with the folks who hate to try to park at the mall(s) around the Holidays. Just ridiculous.

Mike

In search of the perfect QPR wine.... does it exist?
no avatar
User

Mike Conner

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:35 am

Knoxville, TN

by Mike Conner » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:45 am

btw, which genius decided to make all traffic drive in front of the store (between the store and the parking lot), instead of coming in at the end of the parking lot furthest from the store? Seems like liability hell to me. Can't believe some lawyer out there hasn't gone after each and every (what did Larry call them.... Sprawl-Marts?) which feeds its traffic in this way.

MJC

In search of the perfect QPR wine.... does it exist?
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:13 am

Mike Conner wrote:btw, which genius decided to make all traffic drive in front of the store

Need to have a fire lane. It just also gets used as a driveway in most places.