Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

New Restaurant Trends: More....and less....dessert

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

New Restaurant Trends: More....and less....dessert

by Hoke » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:53 pm

I was reading an industry rag today where the feature article touted the latest hot trend in desserts: smaller desserts, but more of them.

Seems the trend in several fashionable places is to feature significantly smaller servings of desserts, sort of using the 'small plates' principles on the dessert course.

Hey, makes sense to me. The days when I want a 'mile high pie' of gargantuan sweets is long past. I'm happy with a bite of this, a taste of that.

One of the most exquisite desserts I ever had was one made in the Italian style: a scoop of silky delicious vanilla bean gelato with a couple of drops of very old treacly balsamic vinegar drizzled on the top. Perfect!

However, since we're talking about American trends here, while they're downsizing the desserts, the trend is to multiply them...so while we're seeing smaller desserts, we're also seeing more of them on the plate. Nothing exceeds like excess, I guess, even when you're going smaller. :)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: New Restaurant Trends: More....and less....dessert

by Jenise » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:00 pm

The days when I want a 'mile high pie' of gargantuan sweets is long past.

Aw, come on. You have been seen hanging outside various Claim Jumper locations around closing time hoping for a free piece of 8 layer chocolate cake. :lol:

I jest, but really this makes so much sense. I don't have a sweet tooth, but how enthralling it must be for those who do to be able to order virtually one of everything that looks good, or just one baby portion.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:56 pm

This makes a lot of sense... Next time I go to Cheesecake Factory, I will order a sampler plate of 16 different morsels and I can still get my 1200 calories and 34 g of saturated fat.

Seriously, this has been de rigeur in high end dining for years now.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:32 pm

Bernard Roth wrote:This makes a lot of sense... Next time I go to Cheesecake Factory, I will order a sampler plate of 16 different morsels and I can still get my 1200 calories and 34 g of saturated fat.

Seriously, this has been de rigeur in high end dining for years now.

I thought that these days de rigeur was passe the way Merlot is out and so it's in...
Thomas P