Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Rustic Mexican Cooking

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Rustic Mexican Cooking

by Jenise » Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:11 pm

A tip from Kenji Lopez-Alt delivered me to these videos of a little Mexican lady making the food of Michoacan in her rustic, and I do mean rustic, kitchen. The 'stove' was made out of cement, the floor is probably dirt, the occasional fly lands on her hand, a rooster crows in the background--it literally could not be more rustic. Or humbling.

I've been hypnotized all morning watching them. I went there looking for a specific dish--a wet dish of beef stir fried and cooked in a broth that you scoop up to make very wet tacos. It's like nothing I've ever had. And I still haven't found the one I want. I got mesmerized by other things first, like this one where she makes cheese and onion enchiladas.

Here it is: enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmVLLFQaEzk
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

Re: Rustic Mexican Cooking

by Barb Downunder » Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:07 am

Wonderful, pretty authentic!
When she shreds the cabbage she adds “disinfectant “. Any ideas on what she actually means?
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:25 am

Very cool.
What do you mean rustic? Didn't you see state of art ca. 1972 blender?
I kept thinking she was going to lose a finger/slice hand.
I'm guessing the "disinfectant" is vinegar or citrus juice?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:28 pm

I was kind of shocked when she went to the blender because only then did I realize she had electricity in there--I didn't expect it!

The "disinfectant" was a bit of a surprise. I don't know what would have sufficed. It did remind me of when I lived in Saudi Arabia, that we rinsed all our produce in water+bleach for disinfecting purposes due to the unsafe nature of the fertilizers used (untreated feces, it was rumored) in some of the countries of origin.

How about how she diced that whole onion in her hand?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov