Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Of course...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Of course...

by Larry Greenly » Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:54 pm

Last night I made meat loaf with a recipe that calls for a bit of poultry seasoning. I couldn't remember if I had any, so I searched all my spice racks and cupboards and couldn't find any. So I decided to make my own. Whirled it up in my spice grinder, funneled it into a spice jar and replaced an empty jar with it in my spice rack. That was the exact moment I saw a new, unopened poultry seasoning jar on the top shelf right in the middle, plain as day. :x

Oh, well. Here's the recipe I used:

Poultry Seasoning

2 teaspoons ground sage
2 teaspoons ground thyme
1 teaspoon ground oregano
1 teaspoon parsley flakes
1 teaspoon ground marjoram
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 teaspoon ground rosemary
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Grind it all together.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Of course...

by Jenise » Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:43 pm

Always happens like that, doesn't it. But what you made will be much better.

You remind me that such a thing exists, actually. Used a lot of it growing up and cooking in the kitchen with my mom--it was the flavor of our turkey stuffing in the little red and white McCormicks cans. Probably only saw the light of day once a year in November. Perhaps that's why I have never purchased it myself, which I realize in typing this is also typical me for better or worse: I don't really buy seasoning blends. Not a snob (at least about this!). And I know some are delish, sure, but they'd just sit there fading, only getting used once or twice a year, a form of waste I try to avoid.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:37 pm

I usually don't buy blends either, except for a few things. Chili powder, Italian seasoning, etc., are all my own blends, so I must have picked up a jar of poultry seasoning that was on clearance for like 50 cents or so. Can't resist a bargain.
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:44 pm

I grew up with Bell's seasoning for turkey. I still use it, but I add some fresh oregano, because it grows in the back yard. All I have to do is whack it back occasionally and dig out the volunteers sometimes.
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:17 am

I actually buy quite a few seasoning blends as I can't always find the ingredients to make them. I have ras al hanout, berbere, dukkah, adjika, harissa and (I think) tabil on the shelves.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:23 am

I, also, grew up with Thanksgiving turkey whose stuffing was seasoned with Bell's Poultry Seasoning. I can't remember it being used for anything else other than stuffing for turkey or pork chops.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:26 pm

I grew up with Beau Monde and Poultry Seasoning, as my mom, and aunt used a lot of it. Lately, I have been eating more hard boiled eggs, as where I shop does not sell the half cartons. I have been slicing the eggs and using them as a taste tester of many of my seasoning blends. Yesterday was Rosh Hanout . It has been fun. Bought that seasoning mix for some reason and have never used it until yesterday. I liked it.