Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Dried Mushrooms

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Dried Mushrooms

by Peter May » Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:22 pm

I never knew there was such a think as dried mushrooms. I don't like mushrooms because of their texture but the dried button mushrooms I had ona winery platter were a revelation.

Crispy and crunchy, like crisps (potato chips in American) I just couldn't stop crunching them.

Now I expect you'll tell me they are commonplace, but I've never heard of or seen them before.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Dried Mushrooms

by Jenise » Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:37 pm

Haven't tried one, but someone's making them commercially. It's a low-carb snack resulting from the popularity of the keto diet.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:16 pm

Dried mushrooms--most typically shiitake--are a common ingredient in Chinese cooking. But they're always reconstituted by soaking them in warm or hot water. Reconstituted dried shiitake and fresh shiitake have considerably different flavor profiles (just as dried ginger vs. fresh ginger) and aren't interchangeable in recipes.

This is the first I've heard of dried button mushrooms, and of eating them in the dried state.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:15 pm

Yes, we've always had dried shiitakes, morels, cremini in pantry (and sometimes the other Chinese ones-woods ear?) but never seen as a snack to eat directly.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:37 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:Dried mushrooms--most typically shiitake--are a common ingredient in Chinese cooking. -Paul W.

Dried from raw for cooking and fried/dried/salted for snacking as Peter experienced are two very different things. Here, I've only seen shitakes done that way.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:51 pm

Here's a review of the Costco brand in Eating Well ...

https://www.eatingwell.com/article/7822 ... arb-snack/
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:52 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Here's a review of the Costco brand in Eating Well ...

https://www.eatingwell.com/article/7822 ... arb-snack/

Everything I could find in a quick search used shiitakes, though, not button mushrooms.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:54 pm

Okay, this brand sold at Target looks like they might be button mushrooms.
https://www.target.com/p/rhythm-superfo ... oup=211-11
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:58 pm

We have a half dozen different dried mushrooms at our local store - morels, oyster, lobster, black trumpet, porcini, shiitake as well as six or seven varieties of fresh. As was mentioned, the dried give a completely different flavour than fresh - super umami hit.

I have never seen the crisps.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:49 am

I've had the Costco snacking ones. Crispy, seasoned with a bit of sugar in addition to other savory seasonings. Quite tasty and addictive. Just picked up the other kind of dried mushrooms from Costco that are used in cooking. From The Wild Mushroom Co. Dried Gourmet Mix Mushrooms it is a large package, 12 oz of Yellow Boletus, Portobello, Oyster, Porcini sourced from Poland, Serbia, Romania, Montenegro, Macedonia, Bulgaria, Chile, Peru, Bosnia, Hungary ! These require rehydrating but they can also be grated or processed to a dust for incorporation into say pasta doughs. I have not yet tried this particular product but I am anticipating using them along with fresh ones for a mushroom ragu or in a ravioli filling to amp the umami. I always have dried porcini and shiitake in the pantry.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:16 am

Dale Williams wrote:and sometimes the other Chinese ones-woods ear?

Wood ear (dark colored) and cloud ear (light colored). They are edible species of the shelf fungus often seen growing on the sides of trees. I've seen fresh wood ears a couple of times, but most commonly they're sold dried and you reconstitute them in very hot water before using. Wood ears are one of the traditional ingredients in Chinese hot-and-sour soup and in mu xu rou (moo shu or moo shi pork). Cloud ears are mainly used in sweet dessert soups.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:05 pm

I used the Costco mixed dried mushrooms from France last night for a ragu for pasta. I am used to rehydrating porcini which happens fairly quickly in warm water. These remained unpleasantly firm after at least 30 min and further cooking with shallots, garlic and fresh mushrooms did not fully soften. Nothing wrong with the flavor. My friend also bought a box and tried to make mushroom dust for a recipe. Her Cuisinart food processor balked when they got stuck on the blade and did not disintegrate! For the next use I will use hotter water and soak longer.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:31 pm

Christina Georgina wrote:I used the Costco mixed dried mushrooms from France last night for a ragu for pasta. I am used to rehydrating porcini which happens fairly quickly in warm water. These remained unpleasantly firm after at least 30 min and further cooking with shallots, garlic and fresh mushrooms did not fully soften. Nothing wrong with the flavor. My friend also bought a box and tried to make mushroom dust for a recipe. Her Cuisinart food processor balked when they got stuck on the blade and did not disintegrate! For the next use I will use hotter water and soak longer.

That's what I would do. Some mushrooms are denser.