Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Fine Cooking Magazine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Fine Cooking Magazine

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:49 am

I received this magazine for years and I am missing it a lot. It was the best cooking magazine out there so well rounded, had something for everyone, was friendly, inviting and great recipes and articles. I have no idea what caused them to crash. I also get Fine Gardening and it, too, is a fine publication. I read this morning that many of their subscribers have set up a community for chat and sharing recipes. I have not taken the time to find it yet, but it is on my list. Anyone else missing this magazine?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Fine Cooking Magazine

by Jenise » Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:01 pm

I know I ran into it, but never subscribed. I was one of Bon Appetit's original subscribers, then I went to Gourmet which I didn't like as much because it got too life-style oriented in a Robb Report kind of way* and when it died I did not mourn, but I mourn Saveur, and I like Food & Wine. In fact, my Bon Appetit subscription just ran out and I didn't renew it. I spend too much reading about food and not enough time reading great books anymore, so this is a minor shift in direction.

*I specifically recall the day I lost interest. There was an article about
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:30 pm

Well, that was weird. Suddenly my space bar froze up and I couldn't finish my sentence. Anyway, so there was an article about Bobby Flay and his then-wife exploring restuarants in Savannah Georgia and the laboriously detailed the designer clothes each was wearing right down to wifey's Kate Spade purse. Such a turn-off. I cancelled my subscription not long thereafter.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Ted Richards

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Toronto, Canada

by Ted Richards » Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:34 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Anyone else missing this magazine?

Me too! I thought it was the best of the cooking magazines until it was bought recently, and then died. I found many good recipes there.
no avatar
User

DanS

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:10 pm

by DanS » Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:16 pm

I subscribed for a long time and was disappointed when I heard it was end-of-life. I went to the Taunton web site hoping I could purchase the digital archive but they didn't list that anymore. They had the archive for all the rest of the Taunton magazines but not fine cooking. Really sad. Not only did they cancel the magazine, but they drove a stake through it's heart.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:28 pm

Jenise wrote:...then I went to Gourmet which I didn't like as much because it got too life-style oriented in a Robb Report kind of way* and when it died I did not mourn, but I mourn Saveur...

I liked Gourmet; I ignored the articles.
I liked Saveur, too, but I don't subscribe to anything now.
no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

by John F » Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:50 pm

Karen

I have subscribed to everything under the sun over the last 35 years. I liked each one in its own way at its own place in time… but I would say Fine Cooking is the one I like the most for the longest…..sad to see it go