Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

How did it happen?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

How did it happen?

by Jenise » Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:56 am

This is a birds and the bees kind of question. Saw a pic this morning of two eggs that had been cracked and deposited directly into a skillet. Five yolks, because one of the eggs held four. The chef who posted it called it a "once in a lifetime" event. I'll bet.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Re: How did it happen?

by Christina Georgina » Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:34 pm

I dunno....fertility supplements in their feed ?
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:17 am

Wow four is a lot.
I’ve heard of three yolks in one egg, when I happpened to be buying some oversized organic freerange
eggs. every one of my dozen was a double yolker.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:38 am

I wonder if each yolk had its own chick embryo, or whether the extra yolks are just the yolk substance (which the hen produces) without an embryo? And if each yolk does have an embryo, would you get multiple chicks hatched out if the egg were incubated?

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:09 pm

The henhouse is on the site of an old kaleidoscope factory.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:17 pm

According to the British Egg Information Service, the odds of discovering a quadruple-yolker are one in 11 billion, according to a press release from Dakota Layers. A double yolk occurs when a hen's body releases more than one egg during her daily ovulation cycle. And, just like humans, it's possible for two — or more — eggs to make their way from the ovary and through the reproductive tract. The overall odds of a hen laying a double yolk are one in 1,000
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:23 pm

Something has happened with eggs. I noticed that the eggs in the last carton of "large" eggs were larger than the jumbo eggs I sometimes purchase and almost as large as goose eggs. They took up the entire section and the carton was almost too short to close properly. I can usually count on about 50% of the eggs in the jumbo carton to be double yolks.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:44 am

So this is the bird equivalent of fraternal multiple pregnancy in humans. Since each yolk does have an embryo, presumably multiple chicks will try to develop if the egg is incubated. Can that work? A fully-developed chick normally completely fills the egg at hatching. With a double yolk there would be only half as much room as usual for the chick to develop. I'd expect premature hatching.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:10 pm

During Farmer's Market season, April to mid December, I buy local eggs, they are so good, dark gold yolks and large. This year after I ran out at the end of the season, I picked up eggs at the store, supposedly organically raised. They had no taste at all. I am having to put salt, pepper and herbs on them .