Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Vineyard Spam Salad!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Vineyard Spam Salad!

by Howie Hart » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:59 am

I see it contains the requisite substitution of "mayonnaise or salad dressing", which I assume would be Miracle Whip. :o
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:29 pm

Has anyone ever used Spam? I have no idea what it even tastes like. I just can't get passed the look of it. Is it tasty?
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:42 pm

My best friend's new husband grew up on Spam. Both his parents worked at the processing/manufacturing plant at Spam HQ in Minnesota. They have a Spam Festival every summer in their town too.

He says he has one "really good" Spam recipe. It's basically a meatloaf type thing made with Velveeta and ketchup and ... oh! sweet pickle relish.

I always ask what's for dinner before I accept when I am invited over on the nights Steve is cooking! :D
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:57 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Has anyone ever used Spam? I have no idea what it even tastes like. I just can't get passed the look of it. Is it tasty?

Karen, SPAM® Classic is made of just a few simple ingredients. Ham, pork, sugar, salt, water, a little potato starch, and a mere hint of sodium nitrite to help SPAM® keep its color. But why listen to me? Go to the Official SPAM® Website for the whole story.

This is the most versatile food next to spaghetti. I've eaten it raw, steamed, baked (with pineapple on top), chicken-fried, fried in Italian bread crumbs, in salads etc. and so on. It is considered a delicacy in Hawaii. It's especially great with sunny side up eggs and pork and beans.

I suggest a Gallo Chablis to go with it.
Last edited by Gary Barlettano on Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:58 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Has anyone ever used Spam? I have no idea what it even tastes like. I just can't get passed the look of it. Is it tasty?

I hate to say it, but it's pretty good in sushi. The rice helps cut the fat. It can also be good marinated in a teriyaki type of sauce and then grilled.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

bgbarcus

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:25 am

by bgbarcus » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:26 pm

Both the look and smell had me convinced I would never eat Spam until some people on here, IIRC, suggested slicing and frying it. It turns out that pan fried slabs of Spam make a pretty good breakfast alongside eggs. I don't normally shy away from any quantity of salt or fat but this treat is definitely in the "only rarely" list. If you decide to try it use low to moderate heat in a dry skillet and it will render a fair amount of it's own fat.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:56 am

Love it, particularly sauteed slices with eggs and raisin toast for b-fast.
no avatar
User

Eric Ifune

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:51 pm

Las Vegas, NV and elsewhere

by Eric Ifune » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:43 pm

I grew up on Spam. My mother is from Hawaii. Spam fried rice is excellent. The spam must be cut into matchsticks first and fryed until bacon-like in consistency. Teriyaki grilled spam is also good.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:14 pm

Spam fried rice is excellent.

I can vouch for that--I'd have never guessed what I was eating.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov